Poke Weed

kstove513

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2022
We have poke weed absolutely everywhere this year. My chickens apparently LOVE eating the berries. I don't understand why, because it seems that other people's chickens won't eat them, but mine do. I've watched them eat the berries and there's plenty of evidence in their droppings. They free range. My question is, does them eating the berries effect the eggs? Are the eggs safe for us to consume? I'd guess the berries aren't poisonous to the birds because they've been eating them all summer and none of them have died. But this just isn't something I'm educated on, so thought I'd ask. Thanks for the help!

I'd guess the berries aren't poisonous to the birds because they've been eating them all summer and none of them have died.
I'm not an expert on pokeweed,,, but read enough about it to know,, that it is poisonous to people. But,,,,, here is the exception. Young plant parts that just sprout in beginning of growing season are eatable by people. There is a certain process to cooking such. Avoid the roots altogether.
It is called Poke Sallet.
The leaves are least toxic, followed by stalks, and berries.
My understanding,,, is; the juice in the berries, is not very toxic. The seeds inside berries are.
When your chickens eat the berries, the seeds go thru the chicken undigested. That may explain why you have had no problems with your flock. :idunno
If you eat your chicken's eggs, and do not experience bad symptoms,, then the toxins in the pokeweed seeds, are not absorbed by chickens.
I also think, many other birds will eat those berries. The seeds inside those berries,, also go thru the birds,, and land on the ground far away from plant origin. That may explain how the plant gets seeded all over abundantly.

Here is a link to making/preparing Poke Sallet.
https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20190318-a-forgotten-food-of-the-american-south

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

It is called Poke Sallet.
The Acadian French in Louisiana call cooked greens "sallet" while fresh greens are called "salad". The lyrics of Tony Joe White's song Polk Salad Annie (1970) say she took home and cooked the poke greens so she should have been Poke Sallet Annie. New young leaves are not very toxic and are usually tolerated. Foraging for dinner can be tricky.

Back
Top Bottom