Eating (fertilized?) duck eggs

MayorQuimby

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 15, 2016
New to the site so I hope I put this in the right place.

I have a male and two female muscovy ducks. I'm new to raising ducks and I must be the only idiot that wonders this because I cannot find the answer anywhere:

When the girls start laying, do I need to be concerned that I'll eat an egg that has been fertilized by the male? Is it as simple as just grabbing the egg and throwing it in the skillet, or do I need to do something to make sure there isn't a baby duck growing inside the egg? Or do you just eat the egg either way as long as you grab it before it has time to grow into anything?

I've read that you can shine a light through it to see veins, do you folks do this and inspect every egg?

New to the site so I hope I put this in the right place.

I have a male and two female muscovy ducks. I'm new to raising ducks and I must be the only idiot that wonders this because I cannot find the answer anywhere:

When the girls start laying, do I need to be concerned that I'll eat an egg that has been fertilized by the male? Is it as simple as just grabbing the egg and throwing it in the skillet, or do I need to do something to make sure there isn't a baby duck growing inside the egg? Or do you just eat the egg either way as long as you grab it before it has time to grow into anything?

I've read that you can shine a light through it to see veins, do you folks do this and inspect every egg?

Welcome to BYC!
This is not an uncommon concern for newbies - and an understandable one for those unfamiliar with the process of development within the egg. Until/unless one of your ducks goes "broody" and actively incubates the eggs, there will be no development inside - meaning that un-incubated eggs that are fertilized are no different (from an eating standpoint) from unfertilized eggs. Gathering eggs daily is simple and all that is needed. If an egg "stash" is found and you are not sure if they have been incubated all you need to do is crack each egg over a bowl separate from what you are cooking/making (meaning not directly into a batter/dough or into the frying pan with other food) so that *IF* your egg is developed at all you can easily just toss that one and crack another.

That is what I hoped! I love this site, so much great information. Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom