Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Like them names! Love the embden breed: one is embden/american buff, one purebred pilgrim and one Sebastopol, Roman tufted & tolouse.
Oh, those sound lovely. How is the Embden/American Buff? I've wanted to see one in person because their neck feathers are very similar to the geese we had. I bet that last one is very unique looking. Do you have any individual pictures of them?

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Thanks, I've lost about 6 chickens to the neighbor's dogs this year. For 20 years, they were free-range, but in July 2022, the property directly across the street was purchased by a family that doesn't confine their dogs. We had to create a large system of coops for our birds, but there is an occasional breach. (Our property isn't set up to fence the whole space due to hills/forest/ravine/driveway.) These folks also host large gatherings where people come from far and wide to shoot guns all day and detonate homemade bombs, and their guests also bring dogs that they let run wild in the neighborhood. Last Friday, this happened, and a pair of huskies killed my beloved peacock at 4am. So, it has been almost 2 years of pure frustration and a struggle to keep our animals safe. Law enforcement does nothing. We don't have animal control here.

So, I'm down to 9 adult chickens that are now trained to put themselves away securely every night. I have 7 chicks in my bathroom and I just read the 2016 post about raising chicks outside, which is giving me something to think about. And I'm down to one peahen who is currently on a nest, due to hatch in one week. Wish me luck!!

Thanks, I've lost about 6 chickens to the neighbor's dogs this year. For 20 years, they were free-range, but in July 2022, the property directly across the street was purchased by a family that doesn't confine their dogs. We had to create a large system of coops for our birds, but there is an occasional breach. (Our property isn't set up to fence the whole space due to hills/forest/ravine/driveway.) These folks also host large gatherings where people come from far and wide to shoot guns all day and detonate homemade bombs, and their guests also bring dogs that they let run wild in the neighborhood. Last Friday, this happened, and a pair of huskies killed my beloved peacock at 4am. So, it has been almost 2 years of pure frustration and a struggle to keep our animals safe. Law enforcement does nothing. We don't have animal control here.

So, I'm down to 9 adult chickens that are now trained to put themselves away securely every night. I have 7 chicks in my bathroom and I just read the 2016 post about raising chicks outside, which is giving me something to think about. And I'm down to one peahen who is currently on a nest, due to hatch in one week. Wish me luck!!
Welcome back to BackYard Chickens! I'm so sorry about your new neighbors. That has to be so hard. Good luck with your peahen! I hope she hatches you a new male. :hugs :hugs

Come check out these sections below and feel free to post threads in them:
Raising Baby Chicks
Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
Predators and Pests
Peafowl

Hello peeps,
The chickens seem happy so far, They be walking around like they own the place lol.
We have to stop our hens from making any more chicks, We are not stable yet to take care of any. And we do not want them to die and we feel sad again. Maybe if we get a brooder we can give chicks another shot again.

Hello, its been a long while. I am finishing up my masters degree so it has been a busy time for me. I now have 19 chickens and a potbelly pig. Hope all of you are doing well!
Welcome back! Thats awesome that your getting your masters. I'm starting college soon and going for my doctorate! Do you by any chance have any pictures of your chooks or pig? I would love to see them!

Hi There,

Thanks for reaching out. Yes, like many here, life has gotten busy and we are running round like... LOL
Welcome back to BYC! We are glad your back!
I have 25 hens that are coming up on two years old and laying for a year and a half. We have been having lots of fun but this past winter and spring has been hard with all the rain. I definitely didn't prep my run well enough for THAT much rain. So I am having to figure things out.
I hope every thing works out with the rain!
The moult was hard as well. I have not gotten back to full laying ability with my girls yet. I was used to getting 22-24 eggs a day and now I range from 12-17 on average. So something happened.
That sucks, I keep quail but I am also still not back to them laying fully Out of 10 hens I get 4 eggs a day max. Hope your girls start laying soon.
The eggs themselves are HUGE and I had an issue with them laying all in the same box and eggs getting broken and then them eating them. So I have put golf balls in some of the other 9 nesting boxes to see if that will help. I am also collecting eggs twice a day instead of just at the end of the day. They seem healthy and happy so that is good. I am still having fun if I can get the drainage issue solved.

Thanks for allowing me to give an update! View attachment 3818594
They are pretty!

Hello peeps,
The chickens seem happy so far, They be walking around like they own the place lol.
We have to stop our hens from making any more chicks, We are not stable yet to take care of any. And we do not want them to die and we feel sad again. Maybe if we get a brooder we can give chicks another shot again.
Thanks for the update!

You can make a DIY brooder. Look for articles in the Learning Center.

im inside a small california beachtown. always had chickens, lived on a ranch a while and raised many critters including flocks of chickens. raised many different breeds.

ran into most of the problems discussed here at one time or another but there is always something to learn here and so much experience to fall back on with good and willing help. alot of good people here. i would say veterinarians could level up their experience by spending time here.

i only have 3 birds now, and a small coop. 2 new black australorps and a brahma.

the brahma is a great bird. very social, stout and heavy shanks. her beak has a little tweak but not enough to mess with. i recently added two juvenile black australorps and they are just now getting past the pecking welcoming and it has been about a month. i let them out unless it is raining. View attachment 3813701View attachment 3813702View attachment 3813703View attachment 3813704
Welcome back to BYC! Love your chickens and your cat is so cute!

I have increased my flock this year by incubating my own chicken's eggs. I've also filled a freezer with the non pullets. :(
Welcome back to BYC! Thats always hard but you know you have food that lived a great life.
I have put my last two groups out at one week in the coop with a heating pad. they are in their own cage until they decide which my last bites started perching at three weeks! I mean, up high. I was impressed. They do get a little run during the day for a week but after two weeks old the older chickens are used to them and I let the pecking order start. So far, all good. saves time, and money on feed. I do free range all my fowl. Still learning.

Back
Top Bottom