Dusting? Dipping? How to prevent parasites?

TheBirdBabe

Songster
10 Years
Jun 8, 2013
Hello!

Our flock is growing quickly & I'd like to start doing more for pest prevention. I'm currently dusting with DE... but that's it. I haven't previously had any problems with any kind of parasites (we've had pesky bugs in the coop) that are actually ON my birds... but how can I prevent that?

I just brought a new bird (currently in quarantine) to the property that came from a fairly dirty farm. I'd like to treat her as well before I officially introduce her.

I want to hear about your prevention methods!

Thanks!

Pictures of my silkies, Santa & MoonPie that I would love to keep bug free! 🤗

Attachments

• IMG_20220828_195033123.jpg
    IMG_20220828_195033123.jpg
    665.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20220828_194850249.jpg
    IMG_20220828_194850249.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 2
Give hens plenty of dust bath access, keep their coop and run clean, and well fed with little bit of treats.
They have plenty of dirt & sand to bathe in! They're always.. "dirty"! 😂
I've heard of dumping COOLED ash from a fire in their favourite bathing spots also helps with pests. But as soon as I would dump, they'd move to a new spot!

DE is a respiratory irritant and can be harmful to birds' delicate respiratory systems.

*Personally* I don't treat problems I don't have.

IF I actually found ectoparasites on my birds I'd treat them with a permethrin-based poultry dust. But if there isn't a problem then treating can lead to resistance -- making the pesticides ineffective when they're actually needed. :(

Back
Top Bottom