Dumor or Purina?

I haven't owned chicks long enough to really know if there is a difference in the chick feed. I had a 20lb bag of the dumour chick starter, and mine that are 7 weeks old are just now able to eat it. I believe it does have more protein though. The crumbles were just too big. They loved the Southern States starter though it was almost like cornmeal to me.

With horse feed, my two senior horses do NOT do well on Dumour. They thrive on Purina, Blue Seal, or Southern States brands. They love weight and have awful coats on Dumour no matter how much more I give them. Purina in my opinion is just a better brand.

Dumor is actually processed by Purina; it's their low-end feed. I found this out when doing research after having weird feather issues when using the Dumor starter and grower. The feather issue went away after I switched to a different brand (Kent).

I used Kent for the next 2 hatches, had no issues. Then, switched back to Dumor for the 3rd, just to see if I'd have the feather issues again, and sure enough I did. Since then, I have found a non-medicated feed made by Buckeye called Miracle Chick Starter, and I've had excellent results with it.

If you'd like to see the feather issues I had when using Dumor, here is a thread I posted with pics:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=39929

Thanks again, everyone. I know that medicated food isn't bad, but I have no shipping issues to worry about (I hatched these chicks). I will also be adding some ducks to my flock, since I want to do some herding with my collie, so I want to start with non-medicated food from the beginning.

I like Purina foods a lot. I feed my dogs Purina ProPlan/Purina O.N.E as their main diet, which I supplement with other goodies--and they look great. No matter what I feed, I plan to supplement with home-raised mealworms and other treats. I want my eggs and my meat (roosters, mostly) to be as nutritious as possible and my birds to be as happy and healthy as possible.

Back
Top Bottom