Dumor or Purina?

LoupGarou

Songster
11 Years
Oct 15, 2008
I got my first bag of chick starter at TSC when I was visiting a friend. TSC is a good bit of a drive from me, but I can do other things in that town when I go. I recently learned that a local feed store also sells non-medicated chick starter, which is what I prefer to use, but I'm reluctant to switch between foods if it is going to cause a problem.

So, my questions would be:

Is Dumor an equivalent food to Purina? My chicks are doing fine, but could they be doing better on Purina?

Is it all right to switch between the Purina and the Dumor, or will it cause digestive issues?

I have nine Buff Orpington chicks and one bantam araucana. All are a little over a week old. How much food should they be eating?

I want to start giving them grit, for a number of reasons. How much should I add to their food?

I've always used DuMor with my adult chickens (because I thought it was closest to me) but I've found a lovely little hardware store that sells chicken feed
celebrate.gif
and have recently switched my chicks over to the Purina they sell. Once the DuMor layer that I have on hand runs out I'm going to switch my big girls over to Purina Layena as well. As far as which is better, I don't know, but I'd rather spend my money at the small hardware store than at TSC!
wink.png

Oh, and I feed my chicks as much as they'll eat. In other words, when their feeder is close to being out, I fill up again.
hmm.png

Hopefully someone else can answer the "which is better" question for you.
smile.png

Great! Thanks for the quick replies!

So maybe what I'm hearing is that if I'm in TSC anyway to get any of the chicken-related things that my local feed store doesn't carry, then it's okay to buy the DuMor, even if I'm normally feeding the Purina that I can get locally? Also, I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't overfeeding--I am feeding as often as they empty their feeder, but since I'm still a novice at this I want to be sure that I'm doing my best.

My chickens all eat Dumor (starter and layer) and every time I have used a different brand, if I couldn't get mine or tried to save a few pennies, they HATED it. Not sure about quality differences, but mine definitely eat better on Dumor than anything else I have tried. Picky little brats!!!!
smile.png

I've switched my chickens several times and they are only 7wks old. I prefer the Purina & here's why:

*Available @ a local feed store-rather than TSC
*I noticed a difference in their poo odor on Dumor. It seemed stronger/stinkier
*I also have read on here that they put ground-up bird feathers in Dumor, Purina is pure vegetarian (of course this is what I have read on here, not from actual investigation on my part)

HTH!

I prefer purina products. Medicated is not a bad thing. Exspecially for the new babies after being shipped. Coccidia shows it self generally after stress. But I began doing home work on nutrition. Poultry foods now a days(since mad cow) do not have any animal proteins, just plants(soy). Soy is not a good /complete protein. I still want a foundation sooooo! I am going with purina's game bird food. They have a starter its a 30% protein(Use common sence when using proteins naturally larger birds with less feathers will need less). Also reccomended for turkey babies. I am going to start my new batch of Bantams on this. The older birds which are 6 week old standard birds will begin with flight cond. a lower protein, then there is the layeana(game). One of the differences is this still contains the meat protein along with the soy...It will cost more of course. All I really have here is purina or co-op foods(nutrena,homegrown ect..) So if I use this as a foundation-I can improve on it with letting them free range , Give them good things like seeds,grains, you know use you imagination. Its just not feesible for me to create my own home recipes from scratch or even have food shipped... But the better the chickens eat the more nutritious the eggs will be. Eggs from chickens who eat flax seed and salmon. Wow what a power packed pellet..Ha! Also varity is a good thing. Go to Purina's sight and look of the game/wild foods.
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom