Ducks stopped laying eggs !

MamaChic21

Songster
9 Years
Dec 2, 2010
Jackson, NJ
I have 3 female ducks. They turned 1 year old this month. All winter long, they gave us sucha tasty eggs however, they stopped 2 months ago
hu.gif
. Does anyone know why ? Will they start laying eggs again ?

Ok, i will respond but i don,t know much. I just asked the same question to my friend i bought call ducks from. My original calls i got last summer were laying eggs in Feb. and then stopped. She only layed six eggs, but she was young. She is a year this month and she is spending alot of time mating and hanging out in a box in the coop. She is acting like she's getting ready to lay. My friend said she will start again. So keep your fingers crossed and it should happen. I guess they take a break. What kind of ducks do you have? Angie.

Thank you for responding
smile.png

I have 1 black runner, I know that for sure but the other 2 I don't know.
1 is brown
73058_dsc02673.jpg

And the 3rd one is black and white.
73058_dsc02698.jpg

I use to free range them and I've searched everywhere possible to see if they did lay their egg, but I couldn't find it. One time for few days, I couldn't see their eggs and it was in the winter. And couple of days later I saw their eggs bared under a hay
big_smile.png
. I felt like a little kid, I was so happy. But now they moved into their new run and coop and they are not free ranging. I certainly hope they will lay more eggs. I prefer duck eggs anyday
smile.png

I wish you luck too, hope your ducks will lay soon.

Last edited:
Quote:
LOL
gig.gif
. I did see their eggs few times in the chicken's nest. At the begining, if they layed their eggs in the chicken nest box, I wouldn't know the difference either, but since I know how their eggs looks like, I can tell them apart. The second day at their new run and coop, I found 1 egg on the floor (run's floor). I was first happy maybe they're back laying again but it was too small to be theirs
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom