Ducks in "koi pond"

Matija

In the Brooder
So i am still valuating what animals i will keep in my backyard so i had this idea because i wanted to make big pond for common carp(ancestors of koi)and keep them as pets and fish meat i had idea to fence pond and there to put ducks to live.is this possible(i dont say i will do it if possible just idea).

If it's an extremely large natural pond it could work. Otherwise both koi and ducks put out a lot of daily fertilizer and a pond needs a lot of plants to use that up or else it will be a thick green algae soup full of dead fish.

Not sure if that would be big enough, but I'm no pond expert. It all depends on stocking rates too.

a fish pond takes carefull balance of beneficial bacteria and fish waste to keep safe water parameters

Like @oldhenlikesdogs seid it would be alot of waste, The ammonia would build up fast
A koi fish requires about 1000 gallons of water 3 or 4 feet deep and proper Mechanical filtration and biological filtration

Add a few ducks and you would have to have massive water flow and filters to handle the chunky duck poo

sounds like you have a good setup for koi,

You could try it but get a good water test kit and check it daily untill you know how its working

:frowI have a pond with ~30 small fish and ducks. The ducks don’t stay on the pond all day- maybe about 5 hours total per day. If you decide to do it, make sure you put in an oxygenator and UV light. It’s the only thing that works on algae that will be overfed with duck poop. Also the ducks will eat every plant you put in lol! PLEASE let me know if you find a plant they won’t eat!

Back
Top Bottom