Geese and Wild Ducks keep visiting my Ducks

Avian 'flu is a notifiable disease. Big fines for people who don't report and are found out. If a vet is involved, they will report. If a commercial flock is involved, Agriculture inspectors come round to any known neighboring flocks and test. Two or three years ago, several BYC members reported having their flocks slain -- even the ducks that were not ill. In the UK, there were huge feral flocks of muscovy that were slain when one was found to be infected. It's a dreadful happening for any backyard duck or chicken keeper, but the Department of Agriculture is concerned to protect commercial flocks as they are economically important to States.

I am in Florida on the Eastern Flyway for migrating birds. We are particularly vulnerable to Avian Flu. The migrating birds carry the virus, and transmit it in their poop without themselves showing signs of illness. I don't understand why wild birds and ducks do not show signs of illness but domestic and agricultural chickens and ducks get ill. But that is what happens.

If the epidemic gets bad again, and that can be patchy across the country, those of us in high risk zones have to put tarps over our duck runs to reduce the possibility of migrating wild bird poop reaching our ducks and chickens.

I am aware of all you have said @ruthhope I was just wondering what this members experience was and how she knew her chickens were infected. There a lot of other diseases chickens can come down with.
Yes, unfortunately there lots of other infections so it would be interesting to know what symptoms @WaterfowlsPoultry 's flock displayed.

The D.Agr only kills birds when one has tested positive.

The ducks and geese did not stay long, after a while the neighborhood had a problem with a hawk and the hawk began attacking the ducks and geese in the pond and killed a huge number of them, The survivors of the attack left the pond and the ducks and geese never came back.

Back
Top Bottom