Duckling Food

FlyAnywayAJ

Songster
6 Years
Aug 5, 2017
We had ducklings hatch yesterday. Indian Runners. I went to get them food this morning and the feed store accidentally gave us Duck and Goose grower, rather than starter. Today the feed stores don't open until tomorrow. I am wondering if grower would be ok until tomorrow or if there are any suggestions. Thank you

I don't know what the protein content is in Grower versus Starter but I would not hesitate to offer them the Grower. The main difference between the two should be percent protein. The higher protein content in Starter helps them get off to a good start (that means feather out a bit faster but it also helps body growth) but there is nothing in the grower that will hurt them. A duckling hatched by a Mama Duck would eat whatever they can forage if they are hatched in the wild.

For a few days it won't matter anyway. Before they hatch they absorb the yolk. They can live off of that yolk alone for maybe 72 hours or more after hatch. They don't have to eat at all. Yours will probably eat some of that Grower if you offer it but they are not dependent on it like they will be in a few days.

I don't see that you have anything to worry about as far as using that Grower for a couple of days.

I don't know what the protein content is in Grower versus Starter but I would not hesitate to offer them the Grower. The main difference between the two should be percent protein. The higher protein content in Starter helps them get off to a good start (that means feather out a bit faster but it also helps body growth) but there is nothing in the grower that will hurt them. A duckling hatched by a Mama Duck would eat whatever they can forage if they are hatched in the wild.

For a few days it won't matter anyway. Before they hatch they absorb the yolk. They can live off of that yolk alone for maybe 72 hours or more after hatch. They don't have to eat at all. Yours will probably eat some of that Grower if you offer it but they are not dependent on it like they will be in a few days.

I don't see that you have anything to worry about as far as using that Grower for a couple of days.
Awesome! Thank you

Back
Top Bottom