Duckling don’t like to swim

Artoflife90

Songster
Jul 6, 2020
Phoenix Az
Hello! I have two ducklings.. about 4 and 3 weeks old. My blue Swedish duckling loves to swim in the kiddie pool but I noticed that my Pekín duckling does not like to swim. If she ends up getting in the pool she just kind of stands around and gets out after a few minutes. Is it normal for a duck not to like water? 😂

Attachments

• 37A267EB-244F-4C31-8545-FF2A3DCE062B.jpeg
    37A267EB-244F-4C31-8545-FF2A3DCE062B.jpeg
    460.3 KB · Views: 43
Some of mine don't really like it - if I think I could see reasons, it was that:

-perhaps we left it longer than usual to get them in the water when they were very young

- some of ours were just too poorly so even then they did get in, it wasn't quite fun for them either.

Finally, if they have every had a fright when in or near water, it can put them off !

Your ducklings are super cute and look very well - if ducky doesnt want to swim, I'd leave it at that and make sure there were some buckets of clean water around or a large shallow tray so they can have a dip and clean without the swim !

Hope that helps :)

Hello! I have two ducklings.. about 4 and 3 weeks old. My blue Swedish duckling loves to swim in the kiddie pool but I noticed that my Pekín duckling does not like to swim. If she ends up getting in the pool she just kind of stands around and gets out after a few minutes. Is it normal for a duck not to like water? 😂

I have Pekin ducks as well. When they were young they would never really swim. (My backyard has a lake.) But the only time they would it would only be by shore in the shallow end where they can stand up. But now they love swimming! They even swim everywhere on the lake now. The dive underwater too for a short amount of time and pop up in a different spot. Your duck is probably unsure off swimming. After sometime he/she will learn to love swimming. Just give it some time.

My pekins hate water. Always have
My female, Peep, the first time i tried to get her in our pond just ran out of the water and honked angrily at it for a while

Now they will go in but just for a few minutes at a time and prefer to sit in the grass

My Rouens love water and can’t get enough of it

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom