Duck vent is dirty and weird

Greystone farm

Songster
Jul 7, 2020
Hi! My one year old Welsh Harlequin duck Layla’s vent looks really strange and gross. It’s almost like there’s stuff right inside of it radiating around it (it’s isn’t protruding abnormally I just gently pulled around it so you could see in the picture). It looks like greenish chunks but I don’t think it’s just shit lol. When tugging on the chunk things with tweezers they come off but seem really stuck to her skin.

She swims regularly and is eating, drinking, acting etc normally. The only other thing is she has massive broody poops every morning even though she isn’t brooding…otherwise seems very happy and healthy.
Does anyone know what this is? Should I be concerned?

Vet is an option but I wanted to try home remedies first.
F12E717F-4EE5-4C1D-9EE3-BED4C620EE6F.jpeg

Attachments

• 1A978E01-8A5F-4BE6-880F-A0847A87F0DB.jpeg
    1A978E01-8A5F-4BE6-880F-A0847A87F0DB.jpeg
    408.5 KB · Views: 8
I don’t have ducks currently and don’t know a lot about them, but I’d try to was her off with some warm water in a tub and maybe use a washcloth gently to clean the area round it that way you can get a better look at it. Again I don’t usually have ducks or know alot about their problems, but this may help so you can see what’s going on with her?

I don’t have ducks currently and don’t know a lot about them, but I’d try to was her off with some warm water in a tub and maybe use a washcloth gently to clean the area round it that way you can get a better look at it. Again I don’t usually have ducks or know alot about their problems, but this may help so you can see what’s going on with her?
Thank you! I’ll try that.

I am more familiar with chickens, so I don’t know it that is normal or could be a fungal infection. I will a
tag a few duck people for advice. @Miss Lydia Others may chime in as well. If your vet could culture it, it may tell them if it is a fungus, such as vent gleet, or bacterial infection, or something else.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom