Duck not laying and soft shells

KittyKat8828

Songster
5 Years
Jan 5, 2018
kansas city, mo
I have a slight issue one of my ducks is not laying and possibly responsible for some soft shells I have seen around the yard. I don't know who it is but they are on layer feed and have oyster shell in a separate food bowl. All of my ducks are around 2-3 years old and there is one drake for 3 females. This whole season I have only gotten 2 eggs a day consistently. Is there anything I can do to help my ladies?

I've only had full soft shells as an outcome of shock / stress (4 hour transport to our house under a goose....). Do you have a sense of how each fits with the group ? It might not be the drake - girls can be mean too.

Weedy thin but hard shells were down to diet or immature layers and I don't think that applies here.

Sorry to hear about your hen.

Sometimes the rouge hen requires more calcium than the others for a few reasons, but if she were mine, I think I'd get her some Calcium Gluconate (23%), you'll be able to find this at your local feed store, and give her 1ml using a 1ml syringe orally. This should help strengthen strengthen her eggshells but also help her oviduct muscles.

Regarding administering oral fluids, read this.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Back
Top Bottom