Why aren't the leghorns laying any?

• The bully leghorn is stressing their systems, uncomfortable and anxious they've both stopped

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The bully leghorn is refusing to lay out of spite for taking her eggs

• The bully leghorn is sick

• The bully leghorn is depressed and had nothing to live for

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

DEDbird

In the Brooder
May 11, 2024
Ireland
I'm investigating two possibilities, this is the first; recently (2024/04/30) I got 3 hens: two white leghorns and one Amber star. They are all within 3weeks age and the amber star started laying small but, cute eggs. Three days at her new home, the bigger legorn started laying too on the 3rd day - I was impressed - they both continued laying reliably for about 3 days when I noticed the leghorn exhibiting signs of the brood. I've read a lot about it so I was excited to deal with it 😭 she now, seems to be depressed. From day one she was aggressive but now she only picks on the other smaller leghorn. Since then the amber star has been the only reliable layer.

I've taken measures today to isolate the aggressor and they seem to all be chilling. I'm hoping that the mean leghorn will learn to appreciate her friends. Moreover I'm hoping she calms down and relaxs enough to start laying again. I'm running this operation for 4 days before calling it a failed idea.

I don't think chicken can refuse to lay just to spite you, they might try hiding their eggs or attack you to protect them, but it's not like they can decide when an egg is made.

If they're young, they simply may be irregular, or they may be unwell or stressed. Either way they need your compassion and care.

Do you give them layer feed and/or calcium supplements like oyster shells?

I've taken measures today to isolate the aggressor and they seem to all be chilling. I'm hoping that the mean leghorn will learn to appreciate her friends. Moreover I'm hoping she calms down and relaxs enough to start laying again. I'm running this operation for 4 days before calling it a failed idea.
If a bird stops laying due to stress (i.e. being in a new home) it can take weeks, not days, to resume. Same with breaking a bird of aggression, that can also take weeks, not days.

Are these your first chickens or is are these new additions to your existing flock? And x2 on Kiki's question, did these birds come together or were they sourced separately? Also what does the set up look like?

They were all new themselves, first time having chickens and they all came from the same place yes. What does this mean ?
Welcome.
Were these 3 hens added to an existing flock or they all by themselves?
Did they all 3 come from the same place?

I don't think chicken can refuse to lay just to spite you, they might try hiding their eggs or attack you to protect them, but it's not like they can decide when an egg is made.

If they're young, they simply may be irregular, or they may be unwell or stressed. Either way they need your compassion and care.

Do you give them layer feed and/or calcium supplements like oyster shells?
I check on them everyday, I've gotten good relationships with all of them except the small leghorn who's slowly warming up. I noticed the bully had a vibrant red comb but now it's gotten pale - maybe she is just unwell. And yes they've got a calcium supplement and high quality layer feed. They also have a animal protein meal once a week and treated every second/third day with some mealworms.

If a bird stops laying due to stress (i.e. being in a new home) it can take weeks, not days, to resume. Same with breaking a bird of aggression, that can also take weeks, not days.

Are these your first chickens or is are these new additions to your existing flock? And x2 on Kiki's question, did these birds come together or were they sourced separately? Also what does the set up look like?
Oh, so maybe time will tell but I did notice the bully leghorn's comb has lost color - may indicate sickness. They're all 3 in a 3x4 meter cage with bird netting as the cover so they have good exposure to sunlight (they love chilling in the sun) they've got two henhouses one on each corner but since the breakup I've devided it. They've never really used the second henhous they all just go into the bigger one. They had raised platforms but literally since yesterday the landlord destroyed it so it's gone. Overall they're very happy, the amber star runs to me when I great them and when I'm not feeding them she wants to jump on me to get a ride, she's very good. The big leghorn is behaving like an antisocial menace and the small leghorn is behaving like an insecure victim but she's getting better. The two leghorns tend to follow what and where the amber star is doing

Welcome.
Were these 3 hens added to an existing flock or they all by themselves?
Did they all 3 come from the same place?
I was seeing if they came from different places or were added to a older birds because some birds carry diseases they can pass on. You think one is sick...watch her poop to look for red/blood.

Did you buy used coops or brand new ones?

Used coops may house parasites such as poultry mites which hide in the crevices and come out at night to feed on the chickens' blood, leaving them aneamic (pale comb).

Back
Top Bottom