Do geese get worms?

kuntrygirl

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Opelousas, Louisiana
I read a lot about chickens getting worms but have not read much about geese getting worms. Do geese get worms? If so, should a wormer be used, what kind and how often?
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Geese can get worms but it is fairly rare. I won't worm him unless he is showing definite signs of worms. I have no ideal of the product or the dosage since I never felt the need to worm my geese.

I haven't wormed my geese yet. I read on a vet advice site that you DO NOT worm geese unless you see worms in their fecal matter. worming solutions can actually kill young goslings. I am, however, not an expert on geese but I won't be worming unless I know that there is a problem.

I rescued a goose a couple months ago. She was very undernourished, and took her to the vet for a health check. She looked terrible, but her fecal sample was clean. I've heard geese can get worms, and I'd have thought the way she looked she had something!

Their body temps are very high, naturally, and this prevents a lot of parasites from finding a home in them. So if they have a reasonably clean environment, a reasonable diet and mostly fresh water, they probably won't get parasites at all, not like chickens and turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom