****** DIY chicken feeder pipe! ******

Pics
John this one is 3 inch, my newest is 4 inch but I used a 4 inch to 3 inch y so as to keep the opening smaller to keep them from raking out the feed. I plan on doing a similar design in my first chicken tractor but use some angles to make it refillable from the outside.

OK, thanks for that. I have been using 4 inch also but with a screw on end cap at the end of the Y that I cut the top half out of so as the feed cannot spill out of it, but I was of the opinion that 4 inch was too small for their heads and so I was looking at 6 inch but the costs escalate quickly using 6 inch.

Yes I also had a couple of bends on the top end so as it could be filled from outside. I had also thought about putting in a see through window at the bottom of the PVC so I could see food levels.

Cheers,
John

LL

ok here is some pictures of mine.

here is the feeder with the flock waiting for it to be opened.

here is the cap

here is the plug we just pull out, we dont unthread it becauses then it is to far for the girls to reach the feed.

this is the pic with the plug taken out

here they are rotating feeding, they r a little aggressive because they run out of feed this morning.

Awesome, thanks for all the photos!!! Now that it's been a few days how are the girls handling it, and how are you liking it not having to fill up there bowl daily:)

OK, thanks for that. I have been using 4 inch also but with a screw on end cap at the end of the Y that I cut the top half out of so as the feed cannot spill out of it, but I was of the opinion that 4 inch was too small for their heads and so I was looking at 6 inch but the costs escalate quickly using 6 inch.

Yes I also had a couple of bends on the top end so as it could be filled from outside. I had also thought about putting in a see through window at the bottom of the PVC so I could see food levels.

Cheers,
John

John, 6" is overkill my friend. 4" would be the biggest I would go but I believe it's totally unnecessary. I think three-inch works just fine not to mention it's cheaper:)

I really like the idea of adding a window to see the feed level but if you don't build the pipe to tall you can always shine a flashlight down the hole.

Okay, now that I've seen you hanging out and talking about building one of these I want to see something from you!! LoL! When are we going to get your pictures brotha?:)

Cheers,
John
I use a thread on end at the bottom but I lift the adapter and threaded plug both out if I leave the adapter it is to far for them to reach(well except a few of them) but they eat great out of the 3 inch opening, the only reason I was going to 4 inch was to hold more feed(trying to only have to feel up once a week(I have over 150 chickens right now)

Oh they have been eating out of it for over a month and they love it. the only revision I have had is I can't leave the threaded adapter in the y because they can't reach the food.

O ok:) Why don't you just leave it off? Rats?

Yeah, gotta say I'm having the same issues with rats at the moment. I'm also a budgie breeder and the buggas get into my aviary and attack and eat the budgies. My aviary is beside the hen house so there is plenty of food to attract them there, but when they see those tasty little things sitting on the perches they go for them instead.
hit.gif

I have tried everything (almost) except poison as I always worry as to where they are going to crawl away to die and then stink up the place if I can't find them. But I came across a recommendation the other day which I'm interested in following up on and that's a RAT ZAPPER. I'm guessing they have been around for a long time but I have always preferred doing it the old way, plus I thought they were a bit of a gimmick.

But having done a bit of research I came across this brand http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BWFESU...www.ratzapper.org/ultrasonic-pest-control.php which seems to get consistent high ratings, it normally retails for $99 but on the amazon link for $55 or so.

There are probably many more brands on the market and maybe you guys know of better, so what do you reckon?

Cheers,
John

Back
Top Bottom