****** DIY chicken feeder pipe! ******

Pics
Hi Sue & Mat,

Sure would love to keep you updated!

I have been getting all my info from this 400 page plus thread, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/492636/mealworm-farming. I read the first 20 and the last 20 pages of the thread but the most information can be found in the 3 links in the very first post. There is an awful amount of info there, it's just a matter of sorting the wheat from the chaff so to speak. GOOD LUCK
big_smile.png

Cheers,
John

Sounds good!! Also than for the link:)

God Bless!!

Hi Sue & Mat,

Sure would love to keep you updated!

I have been getting all my info from this 400 page plus thread, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/492636/mealworm-farming. I read the first 20 and the last 20 pages of the thread but the most information can be found in the 3 links in the very first post. There is an awful amount of info there, it's just a matter of sorting the wheat from the chaff so to speak. GOOD LUCK
big_smile.png

Cheers,
John

Thank you for the thread, Haven't read it yet but will. As I said, worried about the smell. Probably will start it in the spring. Temps already below freezing at night here. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. thanks again, Sue (I'll be honest, it does gross me out a little, but the girls will chase me down if they see I have the container with the dried worms inside)

Last edited:
That one has a t, I used a y with a threaded clean out at the bottom so I could clean it out and be able to cap it at night to keep the rats and mice out. So far though at least once a week my chickens in there CHICKEN CONDO do a pretty good job of finding the bottom. building a new one tonight for the new CHICKEN CONDO.

Thank you for the thread, Haven't read it yet but will. As I said, worried about the smell. Probably will start it in the spring. Temps already below freezing at night here. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. thanks again, Sue (I'll be honest, it does gross me out a little, but the girls will chase me down if they see I have the container with the dried worms inside)

Hi Sue,

Yeah, its a mighty long thread and I may have missed something vital in between all those pages I didn't read but hopefully not but I have pm hannakat to find out what her final set-up was.

According to the experts smell is not an issue if the set-up is kept correctly without moulds and mildew growing in it.

We here are just heading into our summer and had the first real taste of it yesterday, but it was all washed away with a very nice and much needed tropical downpour last night, its so much fresher this morning.

Cheers,
John

That one has a t, I used a y with a threaded clean out at the bottom so I could clean it out and be able to cap it at night to keep the rats and mice out. So far though at least once a week my chickens in there CHICKEN CONDO do a pretty good job of finding the bottom. building a new one tonight for the new CHICKEN CONDO.

So, did you get to it? Any photo's? :)

Hi Sue,

Yeah, its a mighty long thread and I may have missed something vital in between all those pages I didn't read but hopefully not but I have pm hannakat to find out what her final set-up was.

According to the experts smell is not an issue if the set-up is kept correctly without moulds and mildew growing in it.

We here are just heading into our summer and had the first real taste of it yesterday, but it was all washed away with a very nice and much needed tropical downpour last night, its so much fresher this morning.

Cheers,
John

John, keep us up to date on what "hannakat" says:) That would be bonza mate!

Cheers!

John, keep us up to date on what "hannakat" says:) That would be bonza mate!

Cheers!

You must have a bit of Oz in you.
lol.png

Cheers,
John

P.S. I'm currently re-evaluating my pipe feeder design simply because of overall cost, IE once you start stepping up into bigger diameters so does the price dramatically and so I figure economically it's not worth it unless you have the fittings just sitting around.

I am working on another idea which I have come across in an Aussie chook forum which also has the KISS methodology, so we will see what happens but I don't want to hijack your thread.

You must have a bit of Oz in you. :lol:

Cheers,
John

P.S. I'm currently re-evaluating my pipe feeder design simply because of overall cost, IE once you start stepping up into bigger diameters so does the price dramatically and so I figure economically it's not worth it unless you have the fittings just sitting around.

I am working on another idea which I have come across in an Aussie chook forum which also has the KISS methodology, so we will see what happens but I don't want to hijack your thread.

I don't personally have any Oz in me but I have family that lives there:) There in a small town in New South Wales.

That's why I went with the PVC drain pipe, not just PVC. Drain pipe is about half the cost here in the U.S.. By you adding your ideas to this thread you would definitely not be hijacking it:) I don't know about you but I'm here to help people better feed their chickens and take care of their chickens so post away my friend!!

If you guys ever want talk about gardening/farming ideas join my Facebook group! There is already 571 members and they post all day, every day about organic gardening, chicken care, and building stuff!

http:// http://www.facebook.com/groups/Home.Farm.Ideas

Back
Top Bottom