****** DIY chicken feeder pipe! ******

Pics
Great idea. I don't have very much room in the coop, I usually feed mine under the coop as It has the room and keeps it out of the rain but come this winter, they will stay in more. I also watched the water video. Thanks for taking the time to do this to show us. Sue

Great idea.  I don't have very much room in the coop, I usually feed mine under the coop as It has the room and keeps it out of the rain but come this winter, they will stay in more.  I also watched the water video.  Thanks for taking the time to do this to show us.  Sue

Oh, no problem at all Sue!! I try to do a lots of helpful videos on organic gardening, chicken care, building stuff etc. I just like helping out people and I always seem to get a really perspectives from others:)

As long as they can reach the bottom of the elbow with there beaks where the feed can get impacted It should not be an issue. If they are pecking at the base of the feed that gets stuck in the pipe, it will release.
Don't over-think it;)

Yeah I could certainly be over thinking it that's for sure.
big_smile.png

But having played around for a bit yesterday with different fittings I think I will be going with 2 x 45 deg bends which of course = the 90 deg elbow but the bend is much less severe and the pellets flow so much better. I shall post an image when I get it done.

My next project after this will be starting my mealworm farm, the girls love them, but at retail prices they don't get them often enough.

Cheers,
John

Yeah I could certainly be over thinking it that's for sure.:D

But having played around for a bit yesterday with different fittings I think I will be going with 2 x 45 deg bends which of course = the 90 deg elbow but the bend is much less severe and the pellets flow so much better. I shall post an image when I get it done.

My next project after this will be starting my mealworm farm, the girls love them, but at retail prices they don't get them often enough.

Cheers,
John

Right on:) Post those photo's when you can buddy!

When you start your meal worm farm keep us posted. My girls love them too and I need a 2nd job just to buy them. I've thought about raising them but was worried about the smell.

Cheers,
John

Thanks Sue

When you start your meal worm farm keep us posted. My girls love them too and I need a 2nd job just to buy them. I've thought about raising them but was worried about the smell.

Cheers,
John

Thanks Sue

I don't know if you guys have seen this video I did on these beetle grubs that break down waste like crazy!! When they are fully grown I feed them to my chickens:) I like the meal worm idea because you can have them ready year around! Please keep us posted John:)

Here is the setup for my beetle grubs. Check out all the videos I did on these grubs! They can eat 2 pounds of veggie scraps in 2 days!!

When you start your meal worm farm keep us posted.

Thanks Sue

I like the meal worm idea because you can have them ready year around! Please keep us posted John:)

Hi Sue & Mat,

Sure would love to keep you updated!

I have been getting all my info from this 400 page plus thread, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/492636/mealworm-farming. I read the first 20 and the last 20 pages of the thread but the most information can be found in the 3 links in the very first post. There is an awful amount of info there, it's just a matter of sorting the wheat from the chaff so to speak. GOOD LUCK
big_smile.png

Cheers,
John

Back
Top Bottom