****** DIY chicken feeder pipe! ******

Pics
I put in a pipe feeder a couple of months back and it works GREAT! Mine is the type with a couple of elbows that they reach into. The only problem I've found is that my roo bumps his comb when he eats. I don't know if it bothers him (it would bother me..) but I have noticed that he feels a little thinner than the girls and I wonder if he's not getting quite enough. I didn't want to put in the type with the trough cut out in it because one of my girls will stand there all day and scoop the feed out onto the floor.
I'm hoping to put in one of the chicken trigger feeders this weekend...... of course, I've been saying that for about 3 weeks now....
roll.png

I WILL try and get pics of the feeder we made it is of 3 inch pvc with no glue, we used a y instead of an elbow with a clean out on the bottom and a cap on the top also put a cap on the feeding hole so at night I can contain the feed(no rats getting free meals on my dollar). it is 5 feet tall and I have in this coop 8 chickens(3 lavender orp, 3 americaunas, 1 gorgeous I don't know, 1 buff orpington). the feed lasts about 3-4 days, they are currently not free ranging(new chicken condo and I still have to fence the new run). it has made our life much easier, I am getting ready to build 2 4inch versions also(already have the stuff). Finishing a new chicken condo right now though(my wife says I get carried away)(we both use this same byc account, makes our life easier).

I put in a pipe feeder a couple of months back and it works GREAT!  Mine is the type with a couple of elbows that they reach into.  The only problem I've found is that my roo bumps his comb when he eats.  I don't know if it bothers him (it would bother me..) but I have noticed that he feels a little thinner than the girls and I wonder if he's not getting quite enough.  I didn't want to put in the type with the trough cut out in it because one of my girls will stand there all day and scoop the feed out onto the floor.
I'm hoping to put in one of the chicken trigger feeders this weekend...... of course, I've been saying that for about 3 weeks now....  :rolleyes:

I like this design it looks great, the only thing I would change (since it's bothering your rooster) is cut a notch out at the top of the pipe so that he can fit his whole head in there:)

I don't know why but this pipe feeder makes me want to say Ricola!!

I like this design it looks great, the only thing I would change (since it's bothering your rooster) is cut a notch out at the top of the pipe so that he can fit his whole head in there:)
I don't know why but this pipe feeder makes me want to say Ricola!!

yuckyuck.gif
Makes you want to go to the top of a big hill in a alpine village doesnt it?
lau.gif

I WILL try and get pics of the feeder we made it is of 3 inch pvc with no glue, we used a y instead of an elbow with a clean out on the bottom and a cap on the top also put a cap on the feeding hole so at night I can contain the feed(no rats getting free meals on my dollar).  it is 5 feet tall and I have in this coop 8 chickens(3 lavender orp, 3 americaunas, 1 gorgeous I don't know, 1 buff orpington).  the feed lasts about 3-4 days, they are currently not free ranging(new chicken condo and I still have to fence the new run). it has made our life much easier, I am getting ready to build 2 4inch versions also(already have the stuff). Finishing a new chicken condo right now though(my wife says I get carried away)(we both use this same byc account, makes our life easier).

[SIZE]

Please be sure and post your pictures! That would be awesome:) Sounds to me like you're trying to keep everything superclean which is awesome, sometimes our wives don't understand certain things a man has got to do, but do it anyways if you know your right and do not rub it in her face but to take care of her. Also keep in mind a happy wife equals a happy life! Pick your battles wisely;)

[/SIZE]

I put in a pipe feeder a couple of months back and it works GREAT! Mine is the type with a couple of elbows that they reach into.
I like the "J" design, I think I am going to take off the trough and see if this "J" works better for my girls. I can also think of a type of a lid to put on this "J" to keep out the mice at night, I'll just connect a stick to a lid and keep it inside the coop, accessible from the outside.

This is what I like about this site, the brainstorming gets those wheels turning. Now, if I only had some time and if it wouldn't get dark so early!

I put in a pipe feeder a couple of months back and it works GREAT! Mine is the type with a couple of elbows that they reach into. The only problem I've found is that my roo bumps his comb when he eats. I don't know if it bothers him (it would bother me..) but I have noticed that he feels a little thinner than the girls and I wonder if he's not getting quite enough. I didn't want to put in the type with the trough cut out in it because one of my girls will stand there all day and scoop the feed out onto the floor.
I'm hoping to put in one of the chicken trigger feeders this weekend...... of course, I've been saying that for about 3 weeks now....
roll.png
I think the trick to keep them from scooping food out is to just make slots wide enough for their head and have the food an inch or so below the lip

Back
Top Bottom