****** DIY chicken feeder pipe! ******

Pics
I considered using a milk jug but didn't like the size as you risk unnecessary spillage while trying to pour the feed into the 3" pipe. My scooper is virtually spill free and one handed. I do like the idea of using the milk jug as a funnel though. You could scoop the feed with the jug then pour it through the funnel end.

I tried using the top of a bleach jug as a funnel, but it was too slow.
The milk jug scoop works fine for me, but I am using 4" pipe, so it's harder to miss.

Last edited:
I got my Chicken fountain the other day. I like the looks of it so far. I haven't assembled it yet. I have to build a platform for my 55 gallon rain barrel first.

New feeder design

Yes my ducks also eat out of tube feeders although they make a bit larger of a mess with it. Something to consider with your feed and water set if you house ducks and chicks together is that the ducks love to sift their food with water so inevitably if they are close enough you will end up with wet feed in the bottom of the tubes. My ducks and chickens havent shared space for awhile.

Yes my ducks also eat out of tube feeders although they make a bit larger of a mess with it. Something to consider with your feed and water set if you house ducks and chicks together is that the ducks love to sift their food with water so inevitably if they are close enough you will end up with wet feed in the bottom of the tubes. My ducks and chickens havent shared space for awhile.
thanks for the info. At the moment we are wasting a lot of feed, so if it means the pipe feeder needs cleaning every so oftain, it's a small price to pay.

New feeder design

I was thinking build one this these before, but I am using chain link fence for the run. The hole just too big and the rats would eat the feed. For those who plan to build one of these, I would suggest 1) place the board to cover the feed and have few open holes so the chicken don't waste the feed. 2) the inner board of the feed box should be 1-1.5" lower than the lip where the chicken stick their neck in to eat. This will limit too much feed pouring down.
If you have hen that picky on food, she will make a big mess everywhere.

Last edited:
I was thinking build one this these before, but I am using chain link fence for the run.  The hole just too big and the rats would eat the feed.  For those who plan to build one of these, I would suggest 1) place the board to cover the feed and have few open holes so the chicken don't waste the feed.  2) the inner board of the feed box should be 1-1.5" lower than the lip where the chicken stick their neck in to eat.   This will limit too much feed pouring down.
If you every have hen that picky on food, she will make a big mess everywhere.

The height of this feeder helps prevent spillage. Just up off the ground enough that they can't comfortably beak food out. But placement would be different for each flock. And this will require i clean the bottom out occasionally as they cant reach it. Easly done by removing two screws. It also still needs a hinged lid on the outside. This entire coop is line from top to bottom with hardware clothe so no mice.

thanks for the info. At the moment we are wasting a lot of feed, so if it means the pipe feeder needs cleaning every so oftain, it's a small price to pay.

What does your current set up look like, perhaps it just needs a few tweaks.

Back
Top Bottom