****** DIY chicken feeder pipe! ******

Pics
jimmywalt at my Menards it's found outside in the yard like the other member said "sewer drain pipe" mine is grey colored, slightly softer than PVC and cuts nice! About $6.75 for 10' section, they are 4" wide

Couldn't be happier with this setup. Apologize not the best feeder pic.

Thank you!

Is anyone else have problems with the food refilling? I have to stick my finger in there and kinda push it out. Any tips?

as you can see in the above I have three holes cut into mine, which runs about 16" horizontal. The feed is always higher at the first one and goes down from there on to the next holes, so the further you go the lower the feed sits. There is still plenty for them to eat out of all three. If you want them to look the same height from a full perspective your going to have to keep moving the feed down.

When I build another I'm going to put a "T" on the bottom, that way the feed will come down on both directions so you'll be able to have a few extra slots.

FYI 11 birds use this currently

I will probably build this, however, I think I will try something different on the feeding end. Instead of a 90, I may put a 45 and then a "T" so that I will have 2 feeding slots. I will post pics.

I also had the idea of the "T" on the end, so there would be 2 feeding tubes. I saw your post after I put up mine.

I don't have the problem of it not going to the other end of the feeder cause I can't get the food to come out the thru the 90. I have to force it out, it's only flock raiser pellets so idk why it's getting stuck.

Hi all - just a question...I would like to try this type of feeder/watering system, but does anyone worry about storing the food and water in PVC and other plastics for long periods of time? I'm not usually a worry wart, but since we are trying to get "healthy" eggs, I wondered if maybe metal might be better. Any thought? Thanks!

Hi all - just a question...I would like to try this type of feeder/watering system, but does anyone worry about storing the food and water in PVC and other plastics for long periods of time? I'm not usually a worry wart, but since we are trying to get "healthy" eggs, I wondered if maybe metal might be better. Any thought? Thanks!

Metal is made out of chemicals just like plastics are. Think about our food.... canned vegetables, peaches, etc. Plastic container for peanut butter, cottage cheese, butter, pop. So both are probably fine. Also chickens are farm animals. Thy will drink water out of a mud pool and who knows what they eat if they are free range.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom