****** DIY chicken feeder pipe! ******

Pics
Well I don't have the best PVC pipe feeder out there but it works!
Here is the hole thing (on the left)

It might be hard to see because I use my phone for a camera but the "lid" is a old mealworm container the doubles as a scoop when I poor in feed
This is the bottom ( now I did not go "pro" like danroberts with the half caps but I made some thing like it with ALOT of duck tape

The hole thing full last about two weeks of feed! ;)

As long as it works! I am curious how it is to fill the super tall pipe? I have a hard enough time pouring from the bag into the pipes that are only 4' or so high.

As long as it works! I am curious how it is to fill the super tall pipe? I have a hard enough time pouring from the bag into the pipes that are only 4' or so high.
Mine are tall too, at 5 ft tall, (I am 5'3") and I could never pick up that big bag to fill them so I use a homemade scoop made from a half gallon milk bottle. I just cut off the bottom. It holds quite a bit and pours from one corner without spilling.

Question about these PVC gravity feeders...does anyone else have trouble with the feed not coming down? Mine are still on starter, and I noticed when I went out this am, that the small feed bucket it sits in was picked clean and no more feed had dropped down into the feed pan. When I gave it a little shake, it came right down, but I was hoping to have it be a little more maintenance free than having to be shaken every few hours...thoughts?

I did have this problem. It turned out my husband had glued, but no caulked each of the PVC joints. The caulk made a huge difference. The smallest moisture will cause food to clump up. Hope this helps.

Well, I used a solid tube, no joints...just a cap on top and a cut out on the bottom to let the feed out (and a bit of covering over the top to keep the rain out)...but as much as it has been raining here, the last two weeks, moisture can certainly be a culprit!

Thanks for the tip!

Question about these PVC gravity feeders...does anyone else have trouble with the feed not coming down? Mine are still on starter, and I noticed when I went out this am, that the small feed bucket it sits in was picked clean and no more feed had dropped down into the feed pan. When I gave it a little shake, it came right down, but I was hoping to have it be a little more maintenance free than having to be shaken every few hours...thoughts?

Trina I only had this problem when my chicks were little. Now that they are more adult size they peck with such vigor that I never have to manually knock the feed loose. :)

I have not had any problem with the feed getting clogged or stuck to this point. Granted the weather I am here is pretty good, so moisture may be the biggest challenge.

We just started getting eggs from our ladies, so all the hassle has started to "pay off".

Nw just to find a home for the rooster that we thought was a hen...

Back
Top Bottom