****** DIY chicken feeder pipe! ******

Pics
I will empty tube and check feed tomorrow. All seams are glued but I will double-check them to see if I missed one. Thanks again

That water is getting in from somewhere. Can you take a photo of the top of the cap?

Saw you thread and since I need to make some new feeders I decided I'd check it out. I have a few that are similar to some of these. I spent the summer making small hoop coops and I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to make what will work. I kind of like the straighter feeders with the neck opening that turns up, but I don't want to to fill from inside (although I could use a funnel), but I have tarps covering them and it's a pain to lift them or to have to cut them and then have water leak through. Still figuring out which way I'm doing this.

Anyway, I wanted to suggest something. Not to hijack, but it's something I have done and thought I'd share.

I bought an old floor feeder with the wire grate, at auction. It's old, but it works great at no wasted feed. I also raise rabbits and got carried away at buying them a couple of years ago and then had to come up with some ideas. So instead of buying holders for hay, I made them. When I was working on a PVC feeder, I got frustrated because the birds would walk over them, poop, pill out feed. Still wasn't happy with what was being wasted. Then I looked at the old feeder and had an "ah ha" moment. Then I looked at the rabbit pens and thought.....hmmmm For my hay, I went to the dollar store and bought packages of 2 cooling racks. I bent them in shape and make my hay racks. I have a habit of just buying them now for things to use around here for the animals. So I took a cooling rack and cut it in half, leaving the middle wire. That gave me 2 wires to hold all the others in place. I carefully bent them up towards the middle and slid them into the opening in the PVC. Too tight for the hens. Took it off and removed every other wire and put it back on. Works fantastically. I can also use them without removing the extra wires and it works pretty well for my messy quail.

These are the racks I use. Just happen to have 2 packages here for my projects. LOL

Saw you thread and since I need to make some new feeders I decided I'd check it out. I have a few that are similar to some of these. I spent the summer making small hoop coops and I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to make what will work. I kind of like the straighter feeders with the neck opening that turns up, but I don't want to to fill from inside (although I could use a funnel), but I have tarps covering them and it's a pain to lift them or to have to cut them and then have water leak through. Still figuring out which way I'm doing this.

Anyway, I wanted to suggest something. Not to hijack, but it's something I have done and thought I'd share.

I bought an old floor feeder with the wire grate, at auction. It's old, but it works great at no wasted feed. I also raise rabbits and got carried away at buying them a couple of years ago and then had to come up with some ideas. So instead of buying holders for hay, I made them. When I was working on a PVC feeder, I got frustrated because the birds would walk over them, poop, pill out feed. Still wasn't happy with what was being wasted. Then I looked at the old feeder and had an "ah ha" moment. Then I looked at the rabbit pens and thought.....hmmmm For my hay, I went to the dollar store and bought packages of 2 cooling racks. I bent them in shape and make my hay racks. I have a habit of just buying them now for things to use around here for the animals. So I took a cooling rack and cut it in half, leaving the middle wire. That gave me 2 wires to hold all the others in place. I carefully bent them up towards the middle and slid them into the opening in the PVC. Too tight for the hens. Took it off and removed every other wire and put it back on. Works fantastically. I can also use them without removing the extra wires and it works pretty well for my messy quail.

These are the racks I use. Just happen to have 2 packages here for my projects. LOL

Very cool ideas!!! Thank you wolftracks:)

Sorry double post
lol.png

Last edited:
Hi,

Sure it's not just moisture in the food that then forms into condensation in the air space in the PVC, I dunno just thinking aloud?

Cheers,
John

Possibly John.......Does not have to even be in the food as it has been rainy here, thus it has been humid and there are 3 big holes in the bottom pipe that could draw humid air. I checked tonight and I do not have glue on my vertical elbow joint. All othrr joints have glue so I must have missed that one and I think that is part of my problem.... Thanks alot for your input.....

Possibly John.......Does not have to even be in the food as it has been rainy here, thus it has been humid and there are 3 big holes in the bottom pipe that could draw humid air. I checked tonight and I do not have glue on my vertical elbow joint. All othrr joints have glue so I must have missed that one and I think that is part of my problem.... Thanks alot for your input.....

Good point Jon:) Maybe get something that has less room at the top Hawgon. I know I got this cap at home depot for like $1.30.

Glued that joint up and checked all others. Must of just missed that one but have used it for the last couple of days and no problems....Dumped all the food out of it yesterday just to check and it was bone dry it there.....Also on a side note, I got my first Serama egg from my hens. Hatched them in June in my mini-fridge incubator. Thanks for everyones advice and time in helping me.....

Back
Top Bottom