Disliked hen having problems.

jaj121159

Songster
11 Years
May 27, 2010
Northeast Nebraska
I have a Delaware pullet that was injured about three months ago. She was pecked in the back of the head down to her skull by her fellow chick class, I separated her within the grow out pen in a single cage and put Blu-cote on her to treat the wound. She healed very well. With the wound healed but not completely feather covered I re-applied Blu-cote and released her within the flock. Within one day they had attacked her and the wound was back.

I again separated her from the flock, but left her in a cage within the grow out pen. We repeated wound care and this time let her heal until her wound was healed and feathers had regrown and did not apply any Blu-cote.. I put her back in with her flock and again she was attacked. She was attacked by hens and the couple of roosters. Matter of fact as I grabbed her out of the flock to again cage her, I had a rooster going after her head while the pullet was in my hands.

Keep in mind all of the 35 or so birds in this flock were brooded together and have been together for their first eight months of life. Do you think I'll ever be able to get her back into the flock? They are moving to a larger coop and run next week so she'll have more room to run and hide if necessary. Should I try to put her, when healed in with another breed and see how she is treated. Maybe she's just a mean chicken on her own and really isn't the victim, but the bad chick.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chickens have a good memory, so I'm not sure that putting her back will change anything.......
Your idea of putting her with others she doesn't know might be the solution, especially if she's the oldest?
I don't know why the others are picking on her - who knows what goes on in a chickens' brain! Good luck, let us know how you get on,
hu.gif
Sue

Back
Top Bottom