Difference between stag and cockerel?

Amina

Songster
7 Years
Jul 12, 2013
Raleigh, NC
What's the difference between a stag and a cockerel?

Right now I have three barred rock cockerels that are 5 1/2 weeks old. I'm trying to sell them on craigslist, and a lady called me and said she wants one of them as a stag. Is that a cockfighting term? It would be great if I found them their own flocks, and I also don't mind them being eaten... if they don't sell, I'll eat them myself. But I want to avoid other uses for them, so I could really use some advice here.

Thanks, guys!

Biggest difference is who is doing the talking. Gamefowl folks use the term for males not yet a cock. Cock for gamefowl folks is a bird that has his second set of adult feathers completely in which usually means > 18 months post hatch. With same parties the term bullstag is on the older end of stag age class where the first adult featherset is at least fully in which is realized when a bird is about 8 months post-hatch. The term cockerel is used by everyone else. The way such folks often distinguish between cockerel an cock is the first birthday. I am into the biology more than most and have found the gamefowl system is better for explaining patterns of appearance and behavior related to life-stage. Both systems weak for explaining differences in younger males..
+

Hmmm... what I'm trying to figure out at this point is whether to think this lady is probably into cockfighting. I am not sure whether her use of the term should be setting off alarm bells in my head. Thanks!

Use of stag can simply mean she comes from such a background but nothing more which should not be a cause of alarm. The term is much less problematic than the use of "rooster" which sets the stage for all sorts of miscommunitcation and mismanagement.. More birds now die from that at the hands of "chicken lovers" these days.

I use the terms because I have game chickens and that is the terminology that comes with them. I don't fight my chickens nor participate in such. I just want to be able to talk about games with people and don't want to sound ignorant!

I have used the term "stag" for non-games. Jumping back and forth between audiences and striving for accuracy is sometimes difficult.

If we resort to stereotyping a party because of word choice we may also be crossing into the realm of bigotry. Party in question should not be penalized for attempting to relay details using terms in their lexicon.

Interesting dilemmas when colloquialisms/semantics come into play.
There are 'languages' in certain cultures that don't make sense to folks not acquainted with that culture, making discussions confusing.

I'd just ask, 'I'm not familiar with that term, can you tell me what is a 'stag'. Might have to help with descriptors...'is it a male chicken under a year old?'

Back
Top Bottom