Difference between grower/starter and finisher broiler feed

BirdGirl2004

Crowing
Nov 19, 2016
Huntington, Indiana
Hey ya'll! I am raising meat birds for the 4-H fair this year, and they are just coming up on 5 weeks, so I was going to switch them to finisher... but the question is... Is it worth it? Does it make them grow faster or larger if they have the finisher? I know a main reason is that the starter is medicated... mine on the other hand is not so it is not an issue. SOOOOO, is finisher better for getting them fattened up for 4-H?? Thanks!:frow

-Birdy

I would say you want to switch to a broiler feed, yes. Besides being medicated, starter is only 18% protein, you don't want to hit them too hard early with high protein because it will increase leg problems. Broiler feed is typically 21-22% protein, it will help add flesh.

I would say you want to switch to a broiler feed, yes. Besides being medicated, starter is only 18% protein, you don't want to hit them too hard early with high protein because it will increase leg problems. Broiler feed is typically 21-22% protein, it will help add flesh.
Well, it is broiler feed... it's just starter broiler feed.So if I kept them on the broiler starter they would get fatter?? Im just put to keep them on whatever makes them the biggest.

It's really hard to say when different areas of the country have different feeds. Starter broiler feed isn't what we have here, we have chick starter, and we have broiler. What does the tag say? You want 21%+ protein for finishing meatbirds. So if the tag says it's the higher protein, then use that.

It's really hard to say when different areas of the country have different feeds. Starter broiler feed isn't what we have here, we have chick starter, and we have broiler. What does the tag say? You want 21%+ protein for finishing meatbirds. So if the tag says it's the higher protein, then use that.
Well, the starter feed has 22% protein... I haven't checked the finisher

Just be careful with wanting them “ the fattest!” I’m sure you’ve heard they can die from overeating? It’s not pretty....

Take good care of them .

We do one bag of chick medicated starter, then grower . We’ve never bought finisher for our meat birds.

Just be careful with wanting them “ the fattest!” I’m sure you’ve heard they can die from overeating? It’s not pretty....

Take good care of them .

We do one bag of chick medicated starter, then grower . We’ve never bought finisher for our meat birds.
OK! I agree... our birds are never really fat, so we shouldn't have to bad of a problem. I just bought another bag of starter/grower feed. I reckoned since it was already 22% protein that it'd be okay not to get finisher since they didn't absolutely need it. Thanks so much guys!:thumbsup

For future reference, most hatcheries and people that raise them regularly recommend regular chick starter to begin with, and then going to a meatbird or broiler feed. Regular chick starter is typically 18% protein. I haven't raised them myself yet, but I'd be a little uncomfortable going straight onto 22% with them.

For future reference, most hatcheries and people that raise them regularly recommend regular chick starter to begin with, and then going to a meatbird or broiler feed. Regular chick starter is typically 18% protein. I haven't raised them myself yet, but I'd be a little uncomfortable going straight onto 22% with them.
Ok, is there a specific reason why you would start them on 22% protein? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom