Dead Nettles

faith1st

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 3, 2012
Can chickens eat Dead Nettles? I have read that it is an herb that humans can eat although I have not tried it. We have lots of it in our yard this year.

We teach Souts how to brew vitamin C-rich teas using certain types of nettles; typically harvested live. (I know, I know, leave no trace, right? Show me were anybody noticed a handful of missing nettles...)

Even those out here on the west coast that brew poorer tasting tea are still relatively good for you. I can't imagine eating them would be inherently bad for chickens. I guess it'd fall into a 'ruffage' category?

Hotspurious
Walnut Creek, CA

Thank you for your replies. I may throw in a few with chickweed and clover and see what happens. I did read later that they have tannins in them. I have read that you have to be careful with tannins. Thank you again! I keep on learning about them!

Last year in summer i collect about 30kg of fresh nettle.
I dry nettle in the shadow (it take long time), because on the sun nettle lose rich nutrients.

Now I have some chickens 3 day old, and I giving to them dry nettle. Not to much, I just crush a couple of leaves and mix it with they regular feed.

Anyone else do the same thing?

Sounds good to give to chickens.

We used to live where we could pick fresh nettles just outside our door. We steamed them or put into soups...very tasty treat. Cooking destroys the stinging factor. I would think drying would do the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom