Day 29 one duck hatched day 26--still see movement in eggs but no pipping!

Hm...I'm not sure I really remember, but I don't really think they looked like that.

Well, you might just have some ducklings and even some yet-to-hatch when you get back to school! :fl

This pic is VERY helpful to me as I’m hatching Muscovies in my classroom and when I candled them today (day 30) I panicked when I saw this! Now I know it’s normal!

Great! This happens just before internal pip, or even close to the same time, as the chick gets into position to break free. Always a good sign that they are progressing too.

Well, you might just have some ducklings and even some yet-to-hatch when you get back to school! :fl

Great! This happens just before internal pip, or even close to the same time, as the chick gets into position to break free. Always a good sign that they are progressing too.

Thank you!! I asked this question on another thread and no one has answered me yet...what would you do??....5 of my Muscovies appear to have ‘drawn down’ of 26 eggs. I know this means they’re close to internally pipping but we’re only on day 30 (ending now). Should I lock down the incubator tomorrow (and turn off the turner a day early) or wait until true lockdown day 32???

Thank you!! I asked this question on another thread and no one has answered me yet...what would you do??....5 of my Muscovies appear to have ‘drawn down’ of 26 eggs. I know this means they’re close to internally pipping but we’re only on day 30 (ending now). Should I lock down the incubator tomorrow (and turn off the turner a day early) or wait until true lockdown day 32???

Once they internally pip, the humidity needs to be cranked up, so if you can check them again tomorrow, and see any internals, I'd crank it up. Days are more guidelines, so go by what your eggs are doing, not by the calendar. Jmho.

Oh, and turning can stop any time now, you are well beyond the major importance of turning.

Once they internally pip, the humidity needs to be cranked up, so if you can check them again tomorrow, and see any internals, I'd crank it up. Days are more guidelines, so go by what your eggs are doing, not by the calendar. Jmho.

Oh, and turning can stop any time now, you are well beyond the major importance of turning.

THANK YOU!!! So as soon as I see one internally pip, boost the humidity and lock down?? The other 25 eggs will be ok? And also, will it be clear once the beak breaks the membrane? I’m pretty sure today I saw the beaks pressing the membrane, but none had broken yet.

I just hatched out 14 ducks myself. Duck #1 hatched on day 27 1/2, and it wasn't until day 29 that I got another one. All in all, I was still hatching ducks until day 31. If you see movement, or hear any noises coming from the incubator, I would suggest leaving it as-is. The first one out may have just been an early achiever.
Ok! Thanks. I hope the others will hatch! I haven't heard any noises coming from the incubator. I also never saw any rocking or rolling, only movement when I candled

THANK YOU!!! So as soon as I see one internally pip, boost the humidity and lock down?? The other 25 eggs will be ok? And also, will it be clear once the beak breaks the membrane? I’m pretty sure today I saw the beaks pressing the membrane, but none had broken yet.

It should be pretty evident. Move your light around the egg at the edge of the air cell, crossing the open space where it attaches inside. A beak should cast a shadow in one direction or another.

and please let us know how the hatch goes!

edit to add, yes the others should be fine with the humidity increase, even if it's a day or so early. (my last call duck hatch had high humidity for about 8 days, eggs rescued from an abandoned broody nest, I wasn't exactly sure what day they were on! Lol)

I really hope so!! I would hate to lose them so late in the process. I hope I didn't mess them up by opening the incubator those few times (to take out the duckling, to candle, to add water..)

It should be pretty evident. Move your light around the egg at the edge of the air cell, crossing the open space where it attaches inside. A beak should cast a shadow in one direction or another.

and please let us know how the hatch goes!

edit to add, yes the others should be fine with the humidity increase, even if it's a day or so early. (my last call duck hatch had high humidity for about 8 days, eggs rescued from an abandoned broody nest, I wasn't exactly sure what day they were on! Lol)

Sounds great!! Thank so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom