Day 20 Hatching Chicken Eggs

These are American Bresse. The first pipped egg is more on pointy side. Another chicken hatched overnight. Between 1 and 4am. I have only had two pips and the one in question is still the same. Except now he's being bowled around by the hatched chick. No pips on the other 8 though

Here is the current view. You can see the chick next to the first egg. It's bigger because the hatched chick has been knocking the eggs around

Attachments

• 20230327_070302.jpg
    20230327_070302.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 10
If a chick appears to be chewing that means it is absorbing the yolk. Do not assist the chick at this stage. They need to finish absorbing.

If a chick has pipped at the pointy end it is not in the air sack. Chick can hatch successfully this way, but will take at least double the time from pip to zip because the normal time for internal pip is outside the egg.

I don't worry about egg bumping if it is similar to what would happen in a nest.

If a chick appears to be chewing that means it is absorbing the yolk. Do not assist the chick at this stage. They need to finish absorbing.

If a chick has pipped at the pointy end it is not in the air sack. Chick can hatch successfully this way, but will take at least double the time from pip to zip because the normal time for internal pip is outside the egg.

I don't worry about egg bumping if it is similar to what would happen in a nest.
What about the other 8? Today will be day 22 with no pip in sight lol. Also how long can the chick that hatched stay in before moving to brooder?

What about the other 8? Today will be day 22 with no pip in sight lol. Also, how long can the chick that hatched stay in before moving to brooder?
let the chicks stay in there for 1-2 days. and the other 8 might just be delayed, give them 25 days candle them on day 23. if the place near the air sac looks yellow and there's no clear distinction from the embryo and substance of egg then the embryo is dead.

I am going to do just that. Good news. The 1st chick finally hatched! Took him a little longer and his legs were a little weak but he is good now. One additional egg pipped today. I am going to move the two chicks to brooder today. The incubator I have really isn't that big. Pretty small and they don't have a lot of room to move. I put 10 eggs inside where most people say the Janoel should have 6 max. Hopefully the rest eventually pip. I did put up the heat on the incubator to try and match the thermometer inside.

Attachments

• 20230327_141059.jpg
    20230327_141059.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 10
Chick has been like that for 16 hours. I hear him chirping inside. I can see the beak poking out and opening and closing likes he's trying to chew the egg. No progress made by the chick. When should we assist? Also I have 9 other eggs. One other has pipped and looks similar to this one. The others are still intact. All looked good before lockdown.
Please don’t assist. It is likely to kill the chick.

Back
Top Bottom