Day 10 and no veins that I can see, dark shadow moves around as I candle eggs..

wahmommy

Songster
11 Years
Aug 14, 2010
I had 6 eggs I bought at the farmers market that were supposed to be fertile. One smelled bad at 7 days so I chucked it. The others I've left in the incubator. I candled them at 7 days, but only saw a dark shadow that moved as I turned the egg -the dark spot always ended up on the top of the egg when holding horizontal (but not the ends where air sac would be etc.) No veins or darker spot that could be an embryo.

I just candled again at 10 days and I don't see any difference, dark shadow is still moving around as I turn the egg. No veins or darker spot inside the shadow. They are brown eggs, but not dark brown (Rhode Island Reds). I am going to keep going, but any thoughts? Could they be developing in there? Or are they infertile? The fact that the dark shadow is moving doesn't sound right? Also I don't see an actual embryo or veins...just this shadow.

Well, with darker eggs, it's really hard to tell. I've hatched RIR eggs, and some were darker than others. But by day ten, the egg should be considerably dark, the top half would be darker than the bottom. The shadow ur seeing is not a good sign, thats just the yolk floating around in the egg.....meaning there is no development.

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought...I think I'll wait til lockdown and if I don't see any changes by then well then I'll pack it in...

If all fails, you can always save the trouble go to the feed store and buy some chicks. I'ts the easy way out, not as rewarding as hatching your own chicks,but still pretty much the same. Whenever I have low hatched rates(shipped eggs), I always buy some chicks, and mix'em in with the ones I hatched and raise them together.

Well this was really just an exercise to learn how to use an incubator. I really want to get Ameraucana eggs from Peachick and I do not want to spend $$$ on eggs and have no idea how to hatch them. My daughter's preschool would have taken them if they'd hatched (they have a farm) but it doesn't look like that will happen this time....

You should see something going on in there by day 10. The yolk shouldn't be moving around that easily and you should see veins for sure. I would open one and check to see if the egg had any sort of fertility. You don't want to leave them too long because it could contaminate your incubtor. Very discouraging when the eggs don't have any signs of fertility. I think we've all been there.

:(

I have turkey eggs with small dark spot that moves freely to top of egg as I turn it at 10 day candling, yoke still appears firm, there is evidence of veins, some have the dark spot that does not roll to the top of egg as I turn it and yoke shadow is firm. Some eggs seem that yoke is loose, [moves toward small end some what] and does not look firm [like yoke is mixed]. I think these are no longer viable but unsure or unready to admit. Can someone help that has seen this? should I pitch all that look loose? Looking in to see if I should have.
I have someone wanting the poults. The weather is 60 one day and 30 the next. The hens set on the eggs sometimes till I collect them [2x's a day] I have been unsure of causes for eggs not hatching but last bunch was good 1 hatched on turner and 1 piped to low and drowned. Others went into hatcher but they did not hatch [they were full term] I think the temp was uneven I had 3 thermometers old type at egg height [99], a digital w/ humidity on the wire [97] with 84 humidity [it said]and one with probe placed at egg level [99] the one on the wire changes, at one point to 95. I put the hatcher on top of the incubator and now temp is same on all 3. Could it have been the humidity? But now I am back to eggs that are not progressing it seems. The forced air incubator is cabinet type 2 thermometers one with humidity. I have a little giant for hatching but this is new to me [the continuous hatching] or as it seems mostly not hatching. weather to cold eggs chilled to long? hens on eggs to long for me to save? I got poults last year from a hatchery [Midget Whites], critters got 8, I now have 4 hens and 3 males. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I candled 8 of mine at day 7 and I saw the same thing I cracked them open and the thing moving was the yolk so their probably not fertile

I found a duck egg about three weeks ago at my neighborhood lake. It has a large dark mass on the top of the egg but I cant see any veins. the large mass has moved; thumped when I found it; and has grown from really small to about the size of a ping pong ball but a bit smaller. Is it still alive???? P.S.- there are fluids that come out of the pours of the egg. and when I look at it through my light...(its really bright)... it has grown like a bit more than when I checked it the day before. it still has the "heart beats" when I hold it it will be like something is nocking on it inside.
PLEASE HELP!!!

Back
Top Bottom