14th Day of Incubation - Should the dark areas inside the egg be able to move around freely or not?

nebyneb

In the Brooder
Jan 5, 2021
I have about 8 fertile eggs incubating right now, and want to narrow it down to 3 eggs. I know which eggs I want to keep, but have concerns about what I'm seeing when candling them.

All of the eggs have visible blood vessels and a large dark area (I assume this is the chick). However, in only about half of these eggs does the large dark area move around when the egg is under movement (such as rotation while candling). The dark area does not move in the other half of the eggs. Could these be dead embryos or something? I don't want to have 8 bantams running around lol. I am also trying to get chicks from a specific hen (I can tell her eggs apart from the rest). Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help!

TL;DR: I have 8 fertile eggs but only want to keep 3. Half of them show movement during candling, and I'm concerned if the rest have dead embryos.

Attachments

• PXL_20240419_185752736.jpg
    PXL_20240419_185752736.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 31
I would personally say to keep all 4 that you see with movement just incase one of the eggs stops developing or there is failure to thrive.

generally, if theres visible blood vessels theyre developing fine .. 'blobs' are hard to read ...and not one time ever have i ever even once had a problem giving chicks away .. but i work with alot of people...

Back
Top Bottom