Dachshunds and chickens?

Are they a good choice on a farm?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Idk

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Was he trained since 8 weeks old that chickens are ok. It takes a long time and the right type of training to get a dog to be ok with chickens
I got him at 11wks old and had him on a short leash with me at all times, he became reactive and aggressive after 4mos.

as hormones change.. just like roosters and teenagers!
Yep, he definitely went through some changes. He's turning two this month so there may be more changes in store. I'll never call it quits with his training, so I'm not saying he'll never be good with chickens, just that he's just a good example of bad breeding (he's probably one gen removed from the ring). Walmart parking lot puppies are probably not the best bet for a farm dog😂
In every other way he's absolutely wonderful, I love him with my whole heart. He has never met a stranger and he's a big goofball. Perhaps with old age he'll become a big softie.
ETA: Sorry, not part of the whole conversation and not meant to disagree.
You're good😁

From what I hear, dashounds can be pretty ornery at times. And can have some listening troubles. They definitely can’t be killing chickens. Have you thought about a more docile and gentle breed… like Labs or Golden Retriever?
I don’t think they’re wanting more dogs right now - just were curious about the breed.

From what I hear, dashounds can be pretty ornery at times. And can have some listening troubles. They definitely can’t be killing chickens.
Stubbornness and attitude is definitely a breed trait of theirs, but other breeds with similar traits can be kept around chickens.
Have you thought about a more docile and gentle breed… like Labs or Golden Retriever?
Those are not 10lbs tho😂
Yes I've thought about them, I have them, and I know they're a better choice. My question is about dachshunds because I like dachshunds. I'm not about to get one tho, just curious because there's not much out there on them.
Also I have had plenty of labs massacre my chickens and I'd say they're more capable of catching killing than any small dog I've ever met.

I don’t think they’re wanting more dogs right now - just were curious about the breed.
Definitely not trying to get more right now😂
I do have two that may not be here too much longer, but I don't even know if I'll "replace" them. I have had a lot of dogs for a while now😅

I got him at 11wks old and had him on a short leash with me at all times, he became reactive and aggressive after 4mos.
My male also became reactive but he is doing better now. More than likely he came from a bad breeder. But we were helping a friend and i didnt want him to end up in a shelter.

If you get a dashhund i think your best bet would be going with conformation style so that they are bred for show rather than hunting.

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF

Not this one.View attachment 3792669
In many cases (not all) you cannot untrain centuries of breeding. This dog has been bred for aggression, gameness, tenacity, absurdly high prey drive, and stamina. He will kill a chicken not because he's hungry but because they run, and he catches. His eyes flash red and there's no getting him to stop the chase. He would rather chase something (small animals, toys, smells, etc...) than stop and respond to a command. He's not a companion he's a hunter.

That's really the question I pose here. Have dachshunds been bred for companionship long enough that they would be willing to respond to training over self rewarding with the chase?
I really don't think that is true. Training can only do so much. A dog with a high prey drive is going to have a high prey drive no matter what. I would NEVER trust a Husky or a Malamute around any class of livestock.

Back
Top Bottom