Cup o' Joe and Tea Too

Morning @penny1960 How are you. I wish I had a garden, but hard to do in Florida as it is too hot.

We had a huge garden when we lived in north FL (about 50 miles east of Gainesville). But most of our stuff grew either early in the year or in the fall. Otherwise, the heat and bugs killed off everything.

It's not easy to grow stuff in FL as a lot of people think, there are definite challenges.

We had a huge garden when we lived in north FL (about 50 miles east of Gainesville). But most of our stuff grew either early in the year or in the fall. Otherwise, the heat and bugs killed off everything.

It's not easy to grow stuff in FL as a lot of people think, there are definite challenges.

You are ever so right.

I'll tell ya, AZ is the same way. It's possible to garden even in winter if you can cover your crops at night, but summer? Forget it. That was a learning lesson, it's the opposite of most other places.

I'll tell ya, AZ is the same way. It's possible to garden even in winter if you can cover your crops at night, but summer? Forget it. That was a learning lesson, it's the opposite of most other places.

Exactly!

And the bugs just don't die off in the winter the same way they do in cooler climates. Our bug load was horrific.

Exactly!

And the bugs just don't die off in the winter the same way they do in cooler climates. Our bug load was horrific.
I frequent the garden thread and people put dark plastic over their garden beds to heat up the soil and kill whatever weed seeds and bug eggs/larva are in the soil. I'm going to give it a try next summer.

Yes I cover everything in black plastic in the winter .. I will build a new greenhouse in the spring .. Smaller than the dome was .. Have a an actuall kitchen counter in another dome that I can work off in the new greenhouse... Used a bay in our garages last year, not the whole thing one table.
Morning gang

Back
Top Bottom