CSU's Welsummer SOP

Pics
There are several areas that need attention: back (fairly horizontal, sloping slightly, sloping a bit more than slightly--many of the birds I have seen have backs sloping a lot more than slightly, which I think ruins the overall type), tail (angle, length/size), overall color (dark rusty red like the German type, middle "rusty red" like the Dutch/British type, breast color in male and shafting of breast color in females, the nature of the stippling ("peppering") in the female), leg/shank color and leg length; also, some of the critical breeding issues related to these ought to be addressed in my opinion, e.g., white in tail or flight feathers, stubs and down between toes, etc.). The above-mentioned points are merely problems I have either encountered in my personal breeding or have observed in birds owned by others. There may be other points of interest to others.

I am new to chickens and just got my first Welsummer chicks (hatchery for eggs). I'm getting some Whitmore Farm chicks later this spring.

Can you tell me something about the back? Is the top line of the chicken created by the body, the feathering or both? In any case, how do you select for how the feathers form the topline?

Would love to hear thoughts on this one year old hen
20240402_145601.jpg

Attachments

• 20240402_145528.jpg
    20240402_145528.jpg
    696.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240402_145530.jpg
    20240402_145530.jpg
    637.1 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom