Crop Issue Advice: Update, Surgery Was A Success

No. Do not use any numbing solution. The pain will be minimal and it's safer to do without the pain numbing. The hen will handle it just fine as long as you use a very sharp, thin blade.

Well I suppose an update is in order here. I ended up doing the surgery myself. She had about a large grapefruit size clump of hay in her crop. Initially we just used super glue but her outer skin layer opened up so we stitched it closed and used more super glue. Overall, Im glad I did it. Her quality of life seems to have greatly improved. Shes eating a ton of food now and doesnt have this constant tired look on her face and she also has a normal posture instead of walking like a penguin. I have had her in a dog crate in my basement while she recovers and she seems to be pooping a lot more than she ever did before the surgery so I guess shes getting a lot more food through her system. However, in the almost week that Ive had her in the crate I havent seen a single egg. Maybe its because her system was starved of nutrients? I thought maybe shes egg bound but shes crapping a storm so I guess her butt works well. I plan to release her outside again tomorrow or saturday. Overall a success story. If anyone is going to do a surgery for their first time I would say dont be afraid, be prepared with everything you need, watch a bunch of videos and you can also do it. If you have any other questions of how I did the surgery just ask.

Bravo for having the courage and self confidence to save your hen with surgery! And there's no question she was probably going to die without intervention.

I recommend you edit the title to your thread to include the update that you performed surgery successfully. That way, it will come up in searches where people are seeking surgery info. Hopefully this will encourage others to try this, too.

Bravo for having the courage and self confidence to save your hen with surgery! And there's no question she was probably going to die without intervention.

I recommend you edit the title to your thread to include the update that you performed surgery successfully. That way, it will come up in searches where people are seeking surgery info. Hopefully this will encourage others to try this, too.
I dont see the option to edit my original post or the title, just the tags

Back
Top Bottom