Crippled Legs on New Pekin Ducks

I have a pekin that's a few weeks old with the same leg issues.I looked at TSC yesterday for some kind of niacin supplement and couldn't find anything.

I have a pekin that's a few weeks old with the same leg issues.I looked at TSC yesterday for some kind of niacin supplement and couldn't find anything.
I read on the goose thread a few days ago that if you buy reg niacin in the capsule at any pharmacy and open it up you have regulat niacin. so go to any grocery store dollar store or drug store and buy niacin even slow release and open up the caopsule and pour int their drinking water, 100-150meg per gallon.Forgot to say this was quoted by a pharmicist also.

Last edited:
Some people say they see a difference within a few days.

Give them some swim time, too. Supervised, in warm water, but it gets weight off the legs, improves circulation and strengthens muscles.

Some people say they see a difference within a few days.

Give them some swim time, too. Supervised, in warm water, but it gets weight off the legs, improves circulation and strengthens muscles.
Thanks. I was just filling the tub up. It's been only a few hours since I supplemented their water. I had no idea this was so common!

Thanks. I was just filling the tub up. It's been only a few hours since I supplemented their water. I had no idea this was so common!
clap.gif
Great that you are on top of things. Yay!

There was a study published about how niacin deficiency is not a problem for ducklings, but I declare, I have seen so many forum members improve duckling problems with added niacin, I don't know what to say, except that my personal theory (guess) is that some ducklings are more sensitive to the lack of niacin than others.

I don't know if my duckling is crippled. We put him in the tub yesterday and his legs were fine. But today for some reason his left leg is in front of him and his right leg is behind him. What happened? Did he change overnight? Was it something I did? Can it be fixed? Is he even crippled or is it something else? I have raised ducks in the past and I have never run into this problem. I am totally freaked because he follows me around the yard and comes when I call his name, I love him and I would hate to lose him this early
hit.gif
. Can anyone help me?
fl.gif

I have the same issue, but it's been two weeks and have been giving him niacin but he hasn't improved. His legs sound just the same as what your describing :( and I don't know what else to do.

Similar issue: 8 mutt ducks, 2 definitely part Pekin. One is so much bigger than her egg mates, started having leg problems at 3 wks. Even though she was fine 24 hrs later, I added Nutridrench to their water. Now at 5 wks, she is weak again, found her on her back 3 times. I have niacin capsules & brewers yeast on order. The other ducks are fine. I think she just grew too big too fast. Hoping her body catches up to her weight soon. In the meantime: niacin, vitamins, peas, mealworms.

Back
Top Bottom