Counting your chickens

Oof, I have too many right now. Pulling numbers out of the air (I'd have to actually take the time to sit and look at everyone), I probably have close to 100, give ir take a dozen or two. I know I've got at least 20 I need to cull, likely closer to 30 or 40 if I'm being honest with myself.
Not to sound off or anything, but how do you not know your exact amount of chickens? I literally count my chickens every single night (even when they don't free range).

Not to sound off or anything, but how do you not know your exact amount of chickens? I literally count my chickens every single night (even when they don't free range).
I have a lot of broodies right now, so their numbers can change based on the mother's ability and predation. Plus I don't count mine at night. I do quick scans, but I stopped counting years ago since some don't sleep in coops and some sleep outside every now and then. The only ones I really make sure on are certain birds that have issues like blindness or special ones.

Right now I have forty, including a rooster who will be leaving, a lame hen who will be euthanized, and five cockerels. I might keep four of them, so there will be two for each breeding group, rather than only one each. So far all the boys have been good, so I'm not choosing yet.
There are several older hens, who might live another year, or not. They aren't producing a lot of eggs, some are molting right now. Fewer birds would not be a bad thing, when winter comes.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom