Could these ducks be crossbreeds?

prestoconfuoco

Songster
May 26, 2019
Upstate NY
Hi everyone,

Here are two beautiful 12-week-ish old girls that I got from Metzer. I ordered a Welsh Harlequin and a Silver Appleyard. The feather patterns are spot on, but funnily enough their bills are BOTH the “wrong” color! Every picture I see shows Appleyards with yellow/orange bills, and female Welsh with jet black bills. I actually did see a picture of a crossbred Appleyard/Welsh that looks exactly like my Appleyard, which is what made me consider that maybe these two have some other genes in them!

I don’t care for any practical purpose — I’m not breeding or anything — I was just curious! I love them just as they are 🙂

Appleyard:
C53BC757-6B0D-4196-917D-1D6A975A92FB.jpeg

Welsh:
00904A1C-FBE5-46BD-AC5C-B338A7AAFA66.jpeg

Thanks!

I think you have confused who is who. Top duck is a Welsh and the bottom is a silver Appleyard. The appleyards can be mostly white. All my Welsh look more like your top
Hmm, I’m not sure — when you google “welsh harlequin” or “silver appleyard,” it seems to me that the feather patterns on the harlequins very closely match the bottom (white) duck, whereas the appleyard pattern you often see corresponds to the top duck (notice the little “mask” feather patterns that are not on any welsh harlequins that I’ve seen). Not meaning to discount your experience— obviously they can all present very differently because of their genes!

Just from preliminary searching though, the feather patterns on each duck seem to match what I believe they are (top appleyard, bottom welsh).

Neither are up to standards so to speak and both are beautiful girls. Enjoy them for what they are. Only their DNA knows if they are pure or not. Certainly seem to be mixed. Appleyards are a heavier duck once mature, and both their feather patterns will change as they age. The next molt being the most telling.

Appleyards are about 1-2 pounds heavier than Welsh. Appleyard are supposed to have an eye stripe and welsh should not. Both can have the blush and fawn backgrounds or be almost white. Both can be "hooded" as well. So other than waiting out adult sizing there isn't much else to tell you which was supposed to be which. FWIW - the one with the black bill...if her legs turn grey in the next month or so she is your welsh. That is one trait they don't share - the females legs darken as they age.

Neither are up to standards so to speak and both are beautiful girls. Enjoy them for what they are. Only their DNA knows if they are pure or not. Certainly seem to be mixed. Appleyards are a heavier duck once mature, and both their feather patterns will change as they age. The next molt being the most telling.

Appleyards are about 1-2 pounds heavier than Welsh. Appleyard are supposed to have an eye stripe and welsh should not. Both can have the blush and fawn backgrounds or be almost white. Both can be "hooded" as well. So other than waiting out adult sizing there isn't much else to tell you which was supposed to be which. FWIW - the one with the black bill...if her legs turn grey in the next month or so she is your welsh. That is one trait they don't share - the females legs darken as they age.
Thanks for the info! Very informative. I'll keep that in mind with the legs. But yes I love them exactly as-is.

Hmm, I’m not sure — when you google “welsh harlequin” or “silver appleyard,” it seems to me that the feather patterns on the harlequins very closely match the bottom (white) duck, whereas the appleyard pattern you often see corresponds to the top duck (notice the little “mask” feather patterns that are not on any welsh harlequins that I’ve seen). Not meaning to discount your experience— obviously they can all present very differently because of their genes!

Just from preliminary searching though, the feather patterns on each duck seem to match what I believe they are (top appleyard, bottom welsh).
I thought the same thing as you before. You see these images of Welsh being mostly white. They are stunning looking, which is why I think they tend to use those images. If you look at the meter video of their breeding stock, there is an occasional duck with more white. I agree either way they are beautiful ducks. Haven't found an ugly duck yet.

These are a couple of my welshes. You can see they range in look.

DSC_0459.JPG
DSC_0425.JPG

I thought the same thing as you before. You see these images of Welsh being mostly white. They are stunning looking, which is why I think they tend to use those images. If you look at the meter video of their breeding stock, there is an occasional duck with more white. I agree either way they are beautiful ducks. Haven't found an ugly duck yet.

These are a couple of my welshes. You can see they range in look.

View attachment 2753167View attachment 2753168
I see what you mean, and yours are gorgeous too! I love those black bills on a mostly white bird — really pretty contrast. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom