Coughing and crackling after Fenbendazole

Coop-de-doop

Songster
Mar 14, 2023
My chickens had worms in their poop, so I treated 3 days with Fenbendazole. Treatment ended yesterday, and now they are coughing, crackling, and sneezing. Is this from possible worms in the lung that died, and they are expelling them?

My chickens had worms in their poop, so I treated 3 days with Fenbendazole. Treatment ended yesterday, and now they are coughing, crackling, and sneezing. Is this from possible worms in the lung that died, and they are expelling them?

3 cc per gallon of water for 3 days. I have just under 50 chickens in my flock.
What prompted you to deworm you flock to begin with - were they acting sick or did they have symptoms to begin with?

Fenbendazole dosing is by weight.
It's 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

A video of what they sound like would be good. Upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

Coughing, crackling and sneezing sounds like respiratory illness. Have you added new birds recently?

I wormed them because they had worms in their poop. For a flock of chickens, you can give it in their water. 3 cc’s per gallon for 3 days. I haven’t added any new birds. They were all doing good, other than thinning out, poopy eggs, and live worms in their poop. They did fine during treatment, and as soon as worms were dying off, they all started crackling and coughing. I was just hoping maybe it was from dying worms in the lungs? I’d never seen this happen before, but I see where one person posted they had the same thing happen in 2022. I just hope that’s all it is. We live out on 10 acres of woods, and there’s all kinds of critters out here.

If your flock was heavily infested you will see such symptoms after a large die-off. Chickens will develop respiratory symptoms that may resolve on their own or require further treatment. If your chickens were already harboring a respiratory infection, the added burden of dead tissue bombarding their lungs and air sacs can cause illness. Unfortunately, scar tissue can form and, while symptoms may improve, the chicken may never be 'normal'. Observe your flock closely and if they remain alert, active, and eating well, do nothing. However, if they are not doing well you can consult a veterinarian who may suggest the appropriate antibiotic.

If your flock was heavily infested you will see such symptoms after a large die-off. Chickens will develop respiratory symptoms that may resolve on their own or require further treatment. If your chickens were already harboring a respiratory infection, the added burden of dead tissue bombarding their lungs and air sacs can cause illness. Unfortunately, scar tissue can form and, while symptoms may improve, the chicken may never be 'normal'. Observe your flock closely and if they remain alert, active, and eating well, do nothing. However, if they are not doing well you can consult a veterinarian who may suggest the appropriate antibiotic.
Okay thank you!!! Only 2 are still crackling this morning. One of them was really struggling. I misted with VetRx and she’s doing better. We don’t have an avian vet in my area. If she doesn’t improve, I’ll see if my dogs’ vet could help.

Back
Top Bottom