Coturnix Quail Softshell eggs

thegoatpacker

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 17, 2013
I have 12 layers-laying every day. My wife tends to spoil them with treats-shredded potatoes & carrots; cooked rice; fresh apples. Two days ago I found a soft shelled egg. Figured it for a fluke, on occasion I get one from my chickens. Then, today I got another one-same cage. Any ideas would be appreciated.

All I can think is lack of calcium. Maybe offer them oyster shell if you don't already, if you do maybe add another dish in case one of the hens is being bullied and kept away from the dish. I hope this helps :)

X2

You need to be offering oyster shell on the side. Crushed for quail, served out of the bag for chickens. Lack of calcium will cause soft egg shells.

Stress can cause soft shelled eggs...if a hen became frightened during the "putting on the shell" stage of laying, she will lay a softy. If a hen gets over heated, she will lay a soft egg.

For your quail, make sure to provide enough hidey places for security and keep them out of high traffic areas so they stay calm. You can add tree branches to the corners of the quail pen.

As for the goodies...there is nothing wrong with the goodies that you are feeding them. However make it only a once a day thing so they eat their feed.

Last edited:
I found my first speckled egg today when I was moving the quail to separate breeder cages. After I had them all moved, one of my Texas A&M quail layed a very light colored egg with no spots that was soft. It actually had a fully formed shell but it was dented when I tried to gently pick it up with a gloved hand. The speckled one is perfect, and I think came from one of my brown quail. I really didn't want the A&M type, but I always seem to get some when I buy eggs online. I always specify that I don't want them, but they always seem to crop up anyway. Are the eggs with no spots the A&M type? If so I will weed them out when I see them.

Back
Top Bottom