cost of silkie chicks??

annie8233

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2024
Need advice...I'm a newbie. I have been buying NPIP/AI registered hatching Silkie chicken eggs. The hatch rate is about 50% and the eggs are between $65-$100 for 12+ the breeders usually send a couple extra because the shipping is rough on them. I am having people ask to buy my chicks and pullets, but I do not know what to charge.
I need the older ones because they just started laying and I want to start selling the eggs. The two that are laying are white 2 showgirls are the hens and the rest roosters. Getting 2 a day! yay And I have two Tolbunt got lucky a hen and rooster and getting one a day from them.
On the Silkies I have lavender, white, black, different color mottled (couple frizzle), chocolate, grey, paint, buff, red buff, partridge, porcelain, splash, and blue. So I have lots of colors but I dont know what to charge. Also I have the polish tolbunt frizzle and I know those are expensive eggs so I want to sell those. Im in Colorado and at Murcocks they charge 25 a laying hen....Thanks for any help.

Need advice...I'm a newbie. I have been buying NPIP/AI registered hatching Silkie chicken eggs. The hatch rate is about 50% and the eggs are between $65-$100 for 12+ the breeders usually send a couple extra because the shipping is rough on them. I am having people ask to buy my chicks and pullets, but I do not know what to charge.
I need the older ones because they just started laying and I want to start selling the eggs. The two that are laying are white 2 showgirls are the hens and the rest roosters. Getting 2 a day! yay And I have two Tolbunt got lucky a hen and rooster and getting one a day from them.
On the Silkies I have lavender, white, black, different color mottled (couple frizzle), chocolate, grey, paint, buff, red buff, partridge, porcelain, splash, and blue. So I have lots of colors but I dont know what to charge. Also I have the polish tolbunt frizzle and I know those are expensive eggs so I want to sell those. Im in Colorado and at Murcocks they charge 25 a laying hen....Thanks for any help.
I just paid around that for eggs from breeders. Some in the incubator as we speak were 8 for $80, but she gave 3 extras.

I sell pet-quality silkie eggs (very pretty, but not show quality) for $20/doz and the show quality or fancier ones $40. Shipping is $18.45 for a medium Priority Shipping box and they fit a bit more than two dozen. I am not selling the latter as I'm hatching and fulfilling chick orders.

The NPIP status of the eggs we buy doesn't matter once they've hatched as now they are yours and go under your status. In Wisconsin, we don't need anything for shipping out, so though I've had a tester out here and the paperwork that says I passed, I don't worry about the NPIP status. I just keep that paperwork is all.

I have to sell some cuckoo silkies once I can sex them as I only want to keep a pair, so I was thinking of $75 for roo/hen combo since they will be 5 months old and on the less common side.

Your paint, buff, red buff, lavender, and porcelain are of the less common side too, especially the last two.

Back
Top Bottom