What is this comb and what will it look like?

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Prismo is a golden deathlayer(rooster) over white jersey giant(hen). She has always had a flat comb but I just recently noticed she has a single spike sticking out of it. Has anyone seen this before?

Attachments

• IMG_4434.jpeg
    IMG_4434.jpeg
    424.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4433.jpeg
    IMG_4433.jpeg
    353.3 KB · Views: 16
I don't have much experience with Deathlayers, but if they have cushion combs, then most likely what you're seeing is the rose comb portion of that coming out more because of the pea comb portion being heterozygous from the cross.

Cushion comb is a combination of both rose and pea comb genes, R/R P/P, plus some other gene or genes that smooth it out rather than it being wrinkly like a walnut comb. A single comb is the absence of either of those genes, instead having the wild type genes p+/p+ and r+/r+. The rose comb gene is fully dominant. Whether a bird has one or two rose comb genes, R/R or R/r+, they will express rose comb. Pea comb, however, is partially dominant. P/P individuals (without any rose comb genes in this case) have a smaller, tighter, neater pea comb compared to P/p+ individuals, who have a partial effect of the gene and that tends to be something in between a pea comb and a single comb, appearance-wise.

When you breed cushion R/R P/P to single r+/r+ p+/p+, you get all offspring that are R/r+ P/p+. Because R/R and R/r+ express the same way, the rose comb trait is simply expressed. And because the rose comb gene is expressed, the partial effect of P/p+ instead makes the individual have a comb somewhat in between the appearance of a rose comb and a cushion comb.

I don't have much experience with Deathlayers, but if they have cushion combs, then most likely what you're seeing is the rose comb portion of that coming out more because of the pea comb portion being heterozygous from the cross.

Cushion comb is a combination of both rose and pea comb genes, R/R P/P, plus some other gene or genes that smooth it out rather than it being wrinkly like a walnut comb. A single comb is the absence of either of those genes, instead having the wild type genes p+/p+ and r+/r+. The rose comb gene is fully dominant. Whether a bird has one or two rose comb genes, R/R or R/r+, they will express rose comb. Pea comb, however, is partially dominant. P/P individuals (without any rose comb genes in this case) have a smaller, tighter, neater pea comb compared to P/p+ individuals, who have a partial effect of the gene and that tends to be something in between a pea comb and a single comb, appearance-wise.

When you breed cushion R/R P/P to single r+/r+ p+/p+, you get all offspring that are R/r+ P/p+. Because R/R and R/r+ express the same way, the rose comb trait is simply expressed. And because the rose comb gene is expressed, the partial effect of P/p+ instead makes the individual have a comb somewhat in between the appearance of a rose comb and a cushion comb.
After reading that, I had to go catch my chick who has a pea/rose combed momma and single combed dad and I can totally see that now!! Mav (the blue chick) has the same just not as noticeable!

Attachments

• IMG_4479.jpeg
    IMG_4479.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom