Corn and Soy free......?

I posted this in another thread, thought it would go well in here. I am allergic to soy (and gluten), and thought that I was allergic to eggs. Through some random internet searching, I came across an article (linked below) about soy proteins being found in eggs. Additional research allowed me to find a local farmer that advertised soy-free eggs. Half a dozen eggs later, I had my own chicks, and they were on a soy free diet.

Regarding the soy in eggs, this is a good/short reference that I keep handy:

http://etd.ohiolink.edu/view.cgi/Vargas Galdos Dante Miguel Marcial.pdf?osu1236706764

The study was done to show the benefits of soy in a chickens diet. Not only does the soy protein end up in the egg, itself, but it also ends up in the meat of the chicken. So, depending on your level of allergy to soy, you may or may not react to commercial eggs or chicken. On top of that, if your allergy is not as severe as that of others, you may inadvertently ingest soy on a regular basis, which over a long period, could have cumulative effects on your health.

Using that article as a starting point for myself, I've done quite a bit of searching to find answers about the same for gluten. So far, as I have found, the gluten proteins are broken down, and do not have an impact on the eggs/chicken (or those that eat them). For myself, I found a local farm that advertised free-range/soy-free eggs, and I gave them a shot. I can tell you that I do not have a reaction to those eggs, but do have a reaction to commercial (store-bought) eggs. I even have reactions to products that contain egg in them.

When I started doing all the research, early this year, I made up my mind to get my own chickens if it turned out I could still eat eggs. As a vegetarian, the eggs are a good source of protein, and if I could control what the chickens eat, then I could have a better grasp on actually controlling what I eat!

With regard to organic, that's a personal preference of mine, most of what I eat is organic. I feel like I'll actually be eating organic eggs if I can actually feed them organic food. It just so happens that the company I found that sells the soy-free feed makes it with organic ingredients.

I posted this in another thread, thought it would go well in here. I am allergic to soy (and gluten), and thought that I was allergic to eggs. Through some random internet searching, I came across an article (linked below) about soy proteins being found in eggs. Additional research allowed me to find a local farmer that advertised soy-free eggs. Half a dozen eggs later, I had my own chicks, and they were on a soy free diet.

http://etd.ohiolink.edu/view.cgi/Vargas Galdos Dante Miguel Marcial.pdf?osu1236706764

The study was done to show the benefits of soy in a chickens diet. Not only does the soy protein end up in the egg, itself, but it also ends up in the meat of the chicken. So, depending on your level of allergy to soy, you may or may not react to commercial eggs or chicken. On top of that, if your allergy is not as severe as that of others, you may inadvertently ingest soy on a regular basis, which over a long period, could have cumulative effects on your health.

Using that article as a starting point for myself, I've done quite a bit of searching to find answers about the same for gluten. So far, as I have found, the gluten proteins are broken down, and do not have an impact on the eggs/chicken (or those that eat them). For myself, I found a local farm that advertised free-range/soy-free eggs, and I gave them a shot. I can tell you that I do not have a reaction to those eggs, but do have a reaction to commercial (store-bought) eggs. I even have reactions to products that contain egg in them.

When I started doing all the research, early this year, I made up my mind to get my own chickens if it turned out I could still eat eggs. As a vegetarian, the eggs are a good source of protein, and if I could control what the chickens eat, then I could have a better grasp on actually controlling what I eat!

With regard to organic, that's a personal preference of mine, most of what I eat is organic. I feel like I'll actually be eating organic eggs if I can actually feed them organic food. It just so happens that the company I found that sells the soy-free feed makes it with organic ingredients.
Thanks for posting that!

While I am sorry to hear that you have allergies, I'm really glad to hear that you discovered that it was the soy that you were allergic to, and not the eggs. I hope that you are able to enjoy the foods you were missing out on before again!
I have found much of the same information as you have, in my research. Do you order from Countryside Organics? They are right there in VA.

I am feeding corn and soy free chicken feed, but I realized that as educated as I am about dog and cat nutrition...I know little about chicken and turkey nutrition. So my question is, are people wanting to avoid soy and corn in chicken feed for nutritional reasons? or does it have more to do with political/economic reasons?

I will be feeding mine soy free and gluten free. Due to health reasons my husband and myself need to avoid wheat, rye, barley, oats, buckwheat and soy. So needless to say, I have alot of nutritional analyzing ahead of me! :)

You mention that you need to avoid gluten as well. You don't mention if you are just gluten sensitive or if you have celiac disease. I'm just wondering if the feed you are using still contains wheat if you do indeed have celiac. I'm just wondering because my husband has celiac and I'm at the least, very intolerant, and I'm trying to get a "menu" compiled for when my chicks arrive.
Anything would be helpfull :)
Thank you

Last edited:
While I am sorry to hear that you have allergies, I'm really glad to hear that you discovered that it was the soy that you were allergic to, and not the eggs. I hope that you are able to enjoy the foods you were missing out on before again!
I have found much of the same information as you have, in my research. Do you order from Countryside Organics? They are right there in VA.

That's exactly where I get my feed from. Delivered to the Wegman's parking lot, first Thursday of the month for $6.

You mention that you need to avoid gluten as well. You don't mention if you are just gluten sensitive or if you have celiac disease. I'm just wondering if the feed you are using still contains wheat if you do indeed have celiac. I'm just wondering because my husband has celiac and I'm at the least, very intolerant, and I'm trying to get a "menu" compiled for when my chicks arrive.
Anything would be helpfull
smile.png

Thank you

I am Celiac, and in my research, I've read that the chickens are able to break down the gluten proteins, so they are not in the eggs. With the soy proteins, they are not able to break them down, which is why they end up in the eggs. I purchase my feed from Countryside Organics, and it DOES have gluten in it. I take a little care when feeding them, and so far have not had any reactions to the food....well, not since the first time I was digging around in it without thinking what it might do to me! If you're interested in their website, you can decide whether the shipping might be worth it, or the occasional drive down to a delivery spot (not sure how far you are):

http://www.countrysideorganics.com/

For a $6 delivery charge, I stock up on at least 100lbs of feed at a time for my 5 girls.

If the delivery isn't worth it to you, at least you can get an idea of what's in the feed if you want to try and make it yourself. Here is a link to a blog I came across where someone put up a recipe for gluten/soy free chicken feed:

http://curtissannmatlock.com/2012/03/10/the-chicks-and-me-gluten-free/

Let me know what you think, or if you have any other celiac/soy questions!

Last edited:
Thank you very much. I'm going to check that out as soon as I post this. Not sure about the delivery yet as I'm sure it would probably cost me more than $6 for shipment but I'm definitely going to look into it. Thank you again.

Thanks for posting!!! I wish there were more people in the world who would look deeper than the surface! I am a person with sensitivities and although I eat a clean, mostly organic diet certain issues were not combatted until I began tracing the process of food and personal products I quickly found that it was not rocket science. Soy & corn free eggs and milk straight off the farm without pasteurization have added so much pleasure to my diet!

Quote:
Soy in our diets is fairly recent. Prior to processed foods, we really didn't eat it. In Japan and China, they found a way to ferment it to produce something edible (tofu) that didn't raise havoc with the digestive system. In today's highly processed food marketplace, soy (and corn) is added to almost everything. According to Michael Pollan (In Defense of Food), Corn and soy products are found in about 70% of the foods carried in the typical grocery store. I think it's a safe bet to say that the rise in food allergies, especially corn and soy, is directly related to the increase in the consumption of these foods in the modern American diet.

Back
Top Bottom