Ocean Flare

Songster
Jan 29, 2021
Florida, United States
A client of my mother's who I know called me recently with a sort of business idea. I have an incubator and she has Serama's and eggs, so why not raise and sell some?

Now I have 1 egg in the incubator and 3 hens died, leaving her with a just rooster. We're trying to buy some more eggs to hatch from the same person as before.
And we're looking for decent but less expensive coops, maybe DIY coop ideas for just a few Serama's. We have warm weather pretty much year round so it doesn't need to be anything special, just something better since some predator is hanging around, and we don't need anything with a run.

Any ideas or recommendations would be amazing!

No specific recommendations, but just a warning:

*Every* commercially-made chicken coop advertises capacity using factory farm dimensions (ie: overcrowded). A coop that advertises "good for 4-6 chickens" will likely only be good for 2-3.

Rule of thumb for backyard chickens: 1ft of roost for each full-sized bird, 4sqft/bird in the coop, 10sqft/bird in the run.

Generally, if you are moderately handy, it is better to build your own than buy a kit coop.

Back
Top Bottom