coop floor/ liquid rubber?

drkracker

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 24, 2014
Michigan
I'm wondering if anyone has used a liquid rubber floor coating for coops? I'm building a coop (first time :) and had read about Blackjack 57 but that is not available in my area so I was looking for an alternative that would serve the same purpose. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks.

I haven't tried that one yet but if you do decide to try it please keep the heat in consideration. If you live in a hot area I would stick to the clear or lighter colors as the dark colors will make it too hot in the summer. Let us know how it goes.

I also wanted to use BlackJack57, as JackE suggested, but it is no longer carried in our area. So I went with this instead.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-4-75-Gal-287-Solarflex-White-Roof-Coating-HE287SF871/100051140

It went on so easily. I just dumped it out and spread with a rought roller and voila! I waited a day, used a 2nd coat and after removing the cat, (she tried to get in the coop) I slammed the door and left. Oops, I sealed the door shut. LOL!
barnie.gif

A friend with muscles came by and ripped it open for me.
bow.gif

I am just beginning my chicken adventure, but I figure if it doesn't work, I'll just coat it with some sealer or something. I am sure it will be fine though.

Thanks. I'm in northern Michigan; we don't get a very long summer so I'll be worrying more about the cold soon! ;) I did have a friend pick up a gallon of Blue Max Liquid Rubber. It says it is non-toxic and "nearly odorless". Oh, and "translucent blue". I'll do a bit more reading though as I just want to be sure it will be safe for the new chicks coming this week! What an adventure!

I also wanted to use BlackJack57, as JackE suggested, but it is no longer carried in our area. So I went with this instead.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-4-75-Gal-287-Solarflex-White-Roof-Coating-HE287SF871/100051140

It went on so easily. I just dumped it out and spread with a rought roller and voila! I waited a day, used a 2nd coat and after removing the cat, (she tried to get in the coop) I slammed the door and left. Oops, I sealed the door shut. LOL!
barnie.gif

A friend with muscles came by and ripped it open for me.
bow.gif

I am just beginning my chicken adventure, but I figure if it doesn't work, I'll just coat it with some sealer or something. I am sure it will be fine though.
Just wondering how the floor is holding up now...? I did mine today and am hoping it won't take forever to cure!

Just wondering how the floor is holding up now...? I did mine today and am hoping it won't take forever to cure!

It only took a day to dry and it has no chickens in in yet but it makes noise when you walk on it bare (w/o bedding) but it is NOT sticky at all. Hoping to move them in this weekend actually.

Waaaay tooo much chix dust in my house. *cough cough*

It only took a day to dry and it has no chickens in in yet but it makes noise when you walk on it bare (w/o bedding) but it is NOT sticky at all. Hoping to move them in this weekend actually.

Waaaay tooo much chix dust in my house. *cough cough*
Good to hear. Mine is drying but still sticky today so hoping tomorrow it won't be so tacky. But... I've read that it takes about a week to 'cure'. We'll see, It has been really humid though :( I took the chicks outside today for awhile while I worked on the coop. They sure have a lot of personality! I'm starting to worry that my self-appointed flock leader, Diane, might be a rooster. She is only 4 1/2 weeks old, hope I'm wrong!

Hope your chick moving goes well!

Good to hear. Mine is drying but still sticky today so hoping tomorrow it won't be so tacky. But... I've read that it takes about a week to 'cure'. We'll see, It has been really humid though :( I took the chicks outside today for awhile while I worked on the coop. They sure have a lot of personality! I'm starting to worry that my self-appointed flock leader, Diane, might be a rooster. She is only 4 1/2 weeks old, hope I'm wrong!

Hope your chick moving goes well!

Oh boy, let's hope not. My bossy one is still Angel. The roo is just loud hence his name, Loudmouth.

I spoke too soon when I said there weren't any chickens in the coop. They moved in yesterday. All is good so far.

Back
Top Bottom