Converting from Mash to Pellets

Eggie and Me

Songster
10 Years
Mar 9, 2009
Southern California
I want to change our flock of 7 from mash to pellets. Can I just change when I run out or do I need to gradually change them to the pellets? As always thank you for your input.
frow.gif

Up to you, some like to transition it, some don't. My chickens just get graduated to the big chicken coop to learn to be big chickens cold turkey. That means no more crumbles and the need to stick up for themselves.

I'd just switch it. They should eat it fine. Chickens won't starve themselves enough to cause harm even if you make a big switch so just changing the size of the feed shouldn't bother them. In fact they would probably enjoy crumbles or pellets more than mash. Mash is difficult for all but very small chicks to eat since the pieces are so small. Some chickens do really prefer crumbles over pellets though. I use gamebird crumbles for mine from day 1 through adulthood. It's only when I don't have chickens below 4months that I've been buying the cheaper layer crumbles. Even when switching between gamebird and layer I just start dumping the new bag in the feeder when the old runs out.

Back
Top Bottom