Confused about coop/run combo sizing and need guidance ASAP....

Susan-B

Songster
Mar 3, 2021
Southeastern Pennsylvania
I've asked 2 different places how much room I need for 6-8 chickens and one said a 6x8 coop/run combo, the other said a 6x10 coop run combo (this one has a coop that is 4x6 inside the 6x10 run). But everything I'm reading online looks like those would be too small. My girls can only free range when I'm outside with them since foxes have killed chickens at my neighbors house (and something also killed the other neighbor's ducks). I need to order the coop tomorrow, can anyone give me some guidance? Thanks!!!

Those would be too small! The best rule of thumb that I've seen for space is that you need 10 square feet in the run per bird, and 5 square feet in the coop per bird. When you consider feeders, waterers, etc, for 6-8 chickens you'd want to have roughly 85 square feet in the run and 45 square feet in the coop.

I've asked 2 different places how much room I need for 6-8 chickens and one said a 6x8 coop/run combo, the other said a 6x10 coop run combo (this one has a coop that is 4x6 inside the 6x10 run). But everything I'm reading online looks like those would be too small. My girls can only free range when I'm outside with them since foxes have killed chickens at my neighbors house (and something also killed the other neighbor's ducks). I need to order the coop tomorrow, can anyone give me some guidance? Thanks!!!
You need 4 sq ft of coop space per bird and 12 sq of run space per bird MINIMUM. I wouldn't use less that a 32 sq ft coop with a 100 sq ft run attached.

Those would be too small! The best rule of thumb that I've seen for space is that you need 10 square feet in the run per bird, and 5 square feet in the coop per bird. When you consider feeders, waterers, etc, for 6-8 chickens you'd want to have roughly 85 square feet in the run and 45 square feet in the coop.
Now I'm in panic mode lol.....I'm worried I'm not going to have a coop in time. I'm in the suburbs and don't have a ton of space and got the chicks based on what the coop builders told me. May have to re-home a couple :-/

Picture of the coop I was going to get

Attachments

• 1623D42A-83F5-4657-BD0A-7B5BF37A2EE1.jpeg
    1623D42A-83F5-4657-BD0A-7B5BF37A2EE1.jpeg
    681.8 KB · Views: 66
Picture of the coop I was going to get

It lists dimensions:
4x6 coop
10x6 run area (which probably includes the space under the coop.)

If you want each bird to have 4 square feet in the coop, and 10 square feet in the run, then it's the right size for 6 chickens.

More space is always nicer, and sometimes the feeder/waterer take up enough space to be a problem, but I would consider that a reasonable coop & run 5-6 chickens.

Most commercially-available coops recommend twice as many birds as what is recommended on this site. I eventually decided they were recommending for bantams, which are OK with half as much space because they're so much smaller :D

Back
Top Bottom