Colorado

What breed is this bird supposed to be?
Where did you get it?
I bought 7 Wyandotte chicks. This one was always a bit different than the others. Got his feathers late, is smaller than the rest, the only one with a single comb, and waddles.
I got them from Big R.
I am really hoping that maybe it's a different breed, or something.

I bought 7 Wyandotte chicks. This one was always a bit different than the others. Got his feathers late, is smaller than the rest, the only one with a single comb, and waddles.
I got them from Big R.
I am really hoping that maybe it's a different breed, or something.

For that breed it doesn't meet standards but single comb is not unheard of from hatchery stock.

To me that breed, that comb color at this age says male.

It would be very unusual for a pullet to have that bright of a comb and such large waddles at this age. The unevenness of the lacing on the wings is also a sign it's a cockerel. Around 12 weeks, cockerels will start to get the male specific feathers, i.e. pointy hackle and saddle feathers. You'll be able to see new feather growth around the neck and the base of the tail.

It would be very unusual for a pullet to have that bright of a comb and such large waddles at this age. The unevenness of the lacing on the wings is also a sign it's a cockerel. Around 12 weeks, cockerels will start to get the male specific feathers, i.e. pointy hackle and saddle feathers. You'll be able to see new feather growth around the neck and the base of the tail.
I guess I have a few more weeks to wait =)

Hi All,
I am fairly new to back yard chickens. We brought home 7 little ones around Mother's day, I was told they are all female, however, I am fairly certain this little guy is quickly growing into HIS own.
Our city does not allow roosters, and I do not want him to be someone's dinner.
Any suggestions on where I can rehome him in the Denver Metro area?
Thanks so much,
Natalie
Maybe check with Colorado Rooster Rescue. Also, look for a FaceBook group that is geared to chickens, in your area and post a message there. Check Tractor Supply and Big R, ours has bulletin boards with assorted ads.

Morning! On the lookout for a young full curly Sebastopol gander. I wound up with three girls this summer and would like to get a gander in the mix now for 2024 breeding season. If anyone has any or knows of any please feel free to reach out! Thanks!

Good afternoon! I have some call ducks to rehome in the Northern Colorado area Feel free to PM me if you are interested. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom