6 Years
Mar 27, 2017
Kitsap County, WA
My Coop
My Coop
IMG_20170820_212454.jpg
IMG_20170820_212649.jpg
edit: photos as promised.

I have 6 roos and 14 hens. All about 20 weeks old. Out of my roos 1 Japanese Bantam, 1 Silkie, and 4 Orpington.

My question is about my Japanese Bantam. He roosts at the chicken door every evening until I go inside and do my head count. Sometimes I lock them up fairly late and he's always in the same spot..looking out, watching, waiting. As I'm walking up the steps he jumps off the ledge so I can place him on the roost. Give everyone a few pets and some words of encouragement with cautionary tales warning of hungry eagles. Finally, I close the chicken door and bid my farewell.

I'm curious if anyone else has a cockerel that seems to guard the chicken door? I thought maybe the others weren't letting him roost but he's one of two that's capable of "flying" up to the poop deck.

I'll try to snap a pic tonight.

Last edited:
Has there been a recent predator attack at all even if no hens are missing?
Roosters are wired to protect the hens and your cockerel maybe just feels that guarding the chicken door is part of his rooster 'job'.

I have 6 roos and 14 hens. All about 20 weeks old. Out of my roos 1 Japanese Bantam, 1 Silkie, and 4 Orpington.

My question is about my Japanese Bantam. He roosts at the chicken door every evening until I go inside and do my head count. Sometimes I lock them up fairly late and he's always in the same spot..looking out, watching, waiting. As I'm walking up the steps he jumps off the ledge so I can place him on the roost. Give everyone a few pets and some words of encouragement with cautionary tales warning of hungry eagles. Finally, I close the chicken door and bid my farewell.

I'm curious if anyone else has a cockerel that seems to guard the chicken door? I thought maybe the others weren't letting him roost but he's one of two that's capable of "flying" up to the poop deck.

I'll try to snap a pic tonight.
Pics are awesome! ;)

Anyways, this is pretty normal IMO. I have a few birds that want to roost in the door regardless of age or gender. I think they like the fresh air and the view.

Surprised you don't have a whole lot of mating competition going on already. At this age they are still called cockerels and pullets. At 1 year is when they technically become hens and roosters. :)

Not predator attacks that I know of. Past two weeks eagles have done a few flyovers. My flock hang out in the forest most of the time. The pups and I are constantly outside so the coyotes, bobcats, opossum, and black bear keep a distance. The 4 years living here I've yet to see a raccoon.

Not predator attacks that I know of. Past two weeks eagles have done a few flyovers. My flock hang out in the forest most of the time. The pups and I are constantly outside so the coyotes, bobcats, opossum, and black bear keep a distance. The 4 years living here I've yet to see a raccoon.
Well, maybe he just likes to sit by the chicken door.
Eagles remind me of a great story. So there is this woman at my church and she is chicken crazy (which is a good thing) as well. a hawk had not eaten any chickens yet, but she could tell that the hawk was eyeing them. She started to pray and this huge eagle swoops down, and grabs the hawk right out of the air! And the great thing is that she got it on video!

I think this little Japanese bantam is adorable. No, I have never had a rooster do what this one is doing, but I have had enough roosters over the years to understand just how intelligent they are, and each has been a unique individual.

Bear in mind, though, what is considered "cute" prior to a cockerel entering his hormonal stage can be a portent of aggressive behavior to come. Yours is probably experiencing his first "twinges" of the sort of proprietary behavior that makes some roosters think they need to be suspicious and watchful of their human flock manager.

The fact that this cockerel keeps watch over your movements is something I would keep an eye on. It would be a good idea if you would brush up on how to behave around cockerels so as not to cause the sort of mistrust that can lead to problem behavior.

When my cockerels show the first signs of coming into their hormones, I take a hands off approach, ignoring them as much as possible while still maintaining the upper hand should they show any nascent aggression.

I did suspect his behavior possibly having a negative outcome as he matures. I'll be more mindful of how I handle the boys during the day. All seem to see me as a source of food and protection. When the feeder runs out I'm suddenly surrounded by 20 birds giving me stink eye.

Thank you for your insight.

We have the possibility of all those same predators, though they are not USUALLY in my neighborhood they do visit on occasion. Thing is after living here for 3 years and NEVER seeing a raccoon... I had a duck scalped by one 2 or 3 nights ago! :barnie :mad:

The ducks now sleep in my chicken coop.

ETA: It's a 10 ish week old silkie girl that hangs out in the doorway here.

Well, maybe he just likes to sit by the chicken door.
Eagles remind me of a great story. So there is this woman at my church and she is chicken crazy (which is a good thing) as well. a hawk had not eaten any chickens yet, but she could tell that the hawk was eyeing them. She started to pray and this huge eagle swoops down, and grabs the hawk right out of the air! And the great thing is that she got it on video!

I'm a little concerned what will happen to the eagle if it starts circling your friends chickens......;)

Back
Top Bottom