Cicadas are coming, will you let your chickens out?

We also have gallons of them frozen in our extra freezer. I'm taking the approach that each little lady can choose how many to eat each day for themselves. any time my kids think there are not enough for our girls to eat, they just shake a little tree and cicadas come flying down to the ground where our little raptors make short work of them.

In Texas, we call them a Locus; they should be active in our area soon. Looking forward to freezing them, appreciate the idea....new to caring for my Hennies.

I just read and article saying that the cicadas should be emerging in the next few weeks in the East. I'm planning on letting the chickens free range as much as possible, hoping they will catch them as they come out of the ground. We let ours out periodically, but will definitely be doing it everyday for a while.

Is any one else planning on letting their birds out from their run to catch them?

Yuppers, anything to cut down on feed costs!

The cicadas are high in protein.  We harvest them as the newly emerge (still white and soft as they crawl up and set), blanch them and dip in chocolate.  Taste like a wonderful dark chocolate truffle.

Our boys are so excited!

Gah!!! Eat the cicadas? People? Lol Y'all eat the cicadas?

Back
Top Bottom